Breast Cancer – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the types of cancer that occurs when a malignant tumor forms within the breast. This type of cancer can occur in both men and women but it usually occurs in women and rarely in men. After skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in women in the United States. Breast cancer survival rates have increased and the number of deaths have reduced because of the early detection, new treatments and awareness among the people. One out of eight women suffer from this disorder in the U.S.
Treatment of Breast Cancer
A doctor determines the breast cancer treatment based on the type of breast cancer and its stage.The different interventions include:
The different surgical procedures used to treat cancer include:
- Lumpectomy: In this procedure the surgeon removes the tumor and a small margin of the surrounding healthy tissue. This can be done for smaller tumors, which is separated from the surrounding tissue.
- Mastectomy: This is a surgical procedure where the entire breast tissue is removed including the ducts, fatty tissue, lobules, nipple, areola and the skin that has the cancerous cells.
- Sentinel node biopsy: In this procedure, the surgeon removes the lymph node near the suspected breast tumor that receives lymph drainage from the cancer cells. This node is removed and tested further for breast cancer.
- Axillary Lymph node Dissection: After the sentinel node biopsy, if cancer is found then the surgeon removes the additional lymph nodes in the armpit to know whether the cancer has spread to the axillary lymph node. This determines whether the patient may need a chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Breast Reconstruction: This is a surgery done by a plastic surgeon where reconstruction of the breast may be done with a synthetic breast implant or using your own tissue. These procedures can be done at the time of mastectomy or at a later stage.
There are many other therapies done to kill the cancerous cells. They include:
- Radiation therapy: High-powered energy like X-rays are used to kill the cancer cells. There are two types of radiation therapy like external beam radiation and brachytherapy
- Chemotherapy: In this therapy, drugs are used to kill the cancer cells. These drugs are administered intravenously under the guidance of an oncologist in a hospital.
- Hormone therapy: This is also called hormone blocking therapy where breast cancers that are sensitive to hormones are treated. These cancers are termed as estrogen and progesterone receptor modulator. This therapy can be used after surgery to reduce the cancer occurring again.The treatments that may be used in hormone therapy include:
- Medications that block hormones from attaching to cancer cells.
- Medications that stop the body from making estrogen after menopause.
- Surgery or medications to stop hormone production in the ovaries.
Prevention of Breast Cancers
Make certain changes in your daily life to reduce the risk of breast cancers. Here are some tips to prevent cancers. They include:
- Ask your doctor about breast cancer screening exams and tests like mammograms.
- Ask and learn from your doctor how to do self breast examinations.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink to less than one drink a day and slowly stop drinking.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes everyday.
- Limit the intake of postmenopausal hormone therapy as this therapy may increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Maintain a healthy weight by regular exercise.
- Consuming vitamin-d has been associated with lower risk of breast cancer.
- When a women is in her premenopausal period, calcium intake should be more as it has shown a reduction in the rate of developing this type of cancer.
- Consume a balanced diet of cucumber, carrot, corn, spinach, lentils and peas.
- Eat less quantities of saturated foods.
- Manage stress by trying various stress reduction techniques.
- Balance your daily activities by listening to music or meditating.
- Certain yoga asanas may be very beneficial.
Home Remedies for Breast Cancer
Some of the natural remedies for breast cancer include:
- Garlic: Eat raw garlic cloves or in powder form as it makes good anti-cancer agent.
- Broccoli: When this is taken in raw form, it has the power to kill the tumor cells.
- Grapes: Grapes contain a compound that leads to effective treatment of breast cancer.
- Wheat-grass: This is taken in a raw form or juice because studies have shown that there is a reduction in the cancer cells.
- Green tea: Prepare herbal green tea as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Soybean: This is one of the diets that is considered must for cancer patients because it contains substances that block the cancerous cells.
- Lignans: Lignans are present in cashews, strawberries, flax-seed, sunflower and peanuts as this slows down the rate of progression of cancer.