Brain Tumor – Treatment and Home Remedies for Brain Tumor
Brain tumor is the consequence of abnormal growths or multiplication of cells in the brain. Brain cancers can arise from the primary cells that are formed from other brain components like blood vessels and secondary cells where the cancer cells spread to the brain from other organs through the blood stream. Each year about 19,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with primary cancers. In 2009, the number of cases diagnosed was 22,070 and the number of deaths was 12,920 according to the National Cancer Institute in the U.S.
Treatment of Brain Tumor
The treatment options depend upon the type of tumor and its size and location. The different interventions include:
- Surgery: If the tumor is located at a place that is accessible for an operation, the surgeon will work to remove the tumorous part as much as possible. In a few cases, the tumors cannot be separated from surrounding brain tissue which makes the surgery risky. In such situations, the doctor may try to remove as much of the tumor as possible. If a small portion of the cancerous cells are removed, then also it helps to reduce the signs and symptoms. Surgery may cause severe infection and bleeding and other risks depending on the site of the tumor.
- Radiation Therapy: In this procedure, beams of high energy particles like X-rays are used to kill the tumor cells. The radiation can come from a machine outside the body or radiations can be placed inside the body that is close to the tumor (brachytherapy). External radiations focus on those areas where the tumor is located, but sometimes after a surgery whole brain radiation is given to kill the tumor cells.
- Radio surgery: This is not a form of surgery but multiple beams of radiations are given in a highly focused form to kill the tumor cells. After taking this treatment, the patient can go home the same day. The side effects of this therapy are nausea and vomiting.
- Chemotherapy: The drugs used in chemotherapy are used to kill tumor cells and are taken orally or injected into a vein. Some of the drugs are used during the surgery where a surgeon places disk shaped wafers in the space left by the tumor when removed. These wafers release chemotherapy drugs slowly over the next few days. Side effects of this drug include nausea, vomiting and hair loss.
Rehabilitation of Cancer Patients
Brain tumors develop impairment in certain parts of the brain that control speech, vision, thinking, motor skills and rehabilitation. A doctor may refer you to certain services that include:
- Occupational therapy: This therapy can get you back to the normal activities including work, after a brain tumor.
- Physical therapy: This helps to regain lost motor cells or motor skills or muscle strength.
- Speech therapy: Specialists or speech pathologists can help you with speech difficulties.
- Acupuncture: In this procedure, needles are inserted at certain pressure points which indirectly help in the control of any disorder.
- Meditation and Yoga: When yoga and meditation is done together, it aids fast recovery of a patient.
- Relaxation and exercises: Various relaxation techniques are taught by specialists as these help the client to get off from all the trauma and stress that the person underwent for the treatment of brain tumor.
Home Remedies for Brain Tumor
Some of the common remedies that can be done at home include:
- Brazilian Pepper: Boil 5 to 8 Brazilian pepper fruits in 250ml of water for half an hour. Strain and drink this fruit extract twice a day for six months with conventional treatments. The prognosis of a patient improves progressively.
- Curly dock: Boil 100 gm of curly dock in 250ml of water for half an hour. Strain and drink 50 ml for six months along with conventional treatment.
- Alchemilla vulgaris: 50 gm of this alchemilla vulgaris is added in 250 ml of water and then it is strained and taken twice daily for 6 months.
- Maitake Mushroom: One teaspoon of this mushroom is added in 250ml of water and this extract is taken twice daily for six months.
- Wolf berry: Include 5 to 8 berries in your diet daily for six months as this improves the condition of the patient in six months.
- Ligusticum Porteri: Boil 5 to 8 leaves of ligusticum porteri in 250 ml for 30 minutes. Strain this and drink for six months.
- Murraya Koenigii: This is also boiled in water for half an hour and 15 ml of this extract is taken daily for six months.