Hernia – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Hernia
Hernia is an ailment that can affect any one irrespective of age and gender. It is a swelling or protrusion of a tissue or a part of any organ through the muscular tissue or membrane that covers it. Hernias most commonly develop in the abdominal part. They are caused due to the pressure that is created on the openings or weaknesses in the abdominal cavity or wall. The treatment, prevention and remedies are discussed below.
The best treatment of hernia is to operate it. Doctor suggests surgical treatment to operate the hernia depending on the fitness and physical condition of the patient. Surgery can be either open surgery or keyhole surgery. In both the surgeries, the surgeon tries to put the protrusion back.
- Open surgery – In this surgery, a large incision is made using a local anesthetic. A patient who undergoes this takes longer time to recover and pain occurs even after the operation.
- Keyhole surgery or laproscopy – In this surgery, a tiny incision is made using a general anesthetic. A pateient who undergoes this takes less time to recover and involves less pain too. It includes a higher risk of damage to the bowel.
Prevention of Hernia
Listed below are some measures to prevent hernia:
- Incorporate some flexibility and stretching exercises into your exercise routine
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Take fiber rich food to avoid constipation
- Quit smoking to reduce cough as it contributes to hernia development
- Take a proper rest after doing strenuous exercises
- Try to strenghten abdominal muscles with strength exercises
- Warm up properly before doing exercises or athletic activity
Home Remedies for Hernia
Listed below are few home remedies for hernia:
- Take ¼ cup of aloe vera juice in the morning and in the night. This is a very effective remedy for hernia.
- Gotu kala is a tonic that is very good for wound healing.
- Avoid straining during bowel movements and protect the back when lifting heavy objects.
- Avoid eating high cholesterol foods and fats that may cause bloating in the abdomen.
- Eat rice mixed with ripe banana and buttermilk everyday. This enhances better digestion.
- Place few bricks under your bed’s head board thereby elevating the bed by 6 inches atleast. Do not use pillows as they increase pressure in the abdomen.