Heatstroke – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Heatstroke
Heatstroke is a serious medical emergency related to illness caused by heat. Due to the heat, the body temperature rises to dangerous levels and the body’s cooling system stops working. The internal body temperature rises to such levels that there occurs damage to the vital organs and brain. It is an advanced form ot heat cramps and heat exhaustion. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for heatstroke are discussed below.
Treatment of heatstroke is aimed at bringing down the body temperatures to normal and thus reducing the damage to vital organs and brains. The doctor may suggest the victim any of the following mentioned treatments.
- Pack the victim with ice and cooling blankets – The doctor prefers to wrap the victim in a special cooling blanket and packs the armpits, back, neck and groin with ice packs to bring down the temperature.
- Evaporation cooling techniques – In this technique, the doctor mists cool water on the victim’s skin and fans warm air over the entire body. The water on the skin is evaporated and body temperature is lowered.
- Immerse the victim in cold water – The doctor immerses the victim in bath of ice water or cold water to lower down the temperature quickly. But this method restricts the victim’s body for other treatments such as performing chest compressions or inserting an intravenous injection.
- Stop victim from shivering – If the above treatments make the victim shiver, the doctor may prescribe medications such as muscle relaxants. Since shivering increases the body temperature and make the treatments less effective.
Listed below are the important measures that help to prevent heatstrokes:
- Avoid becoming dehydrated
- Avoid excessive physical activities in humid and hot weather
- Drink plenty of fluids if you have performed strenuous activities in hot weather
- Avoid tea, caffeine and alcohol that may lead to dehydration
- If you sweat excessively or perform a vigorous activity, take as much as fluids especially electrolytes since the body need replenishment.
- Wear loose, lightweight and light colored clothes especially in hot weathers
Home Remedies for Heatstroke
Listed below are few home remedies for heatstroke:
- Add some tamarind in boiling water. Strain it and drink the decoction twice a day. This is a very effective remedy and controls the high body temperature.
- Soak some plums in water for sometime. Now mash the soaked soft plums and strain it. Drink the decoction before going to bed.
- Coriander juice mixed with sugar is an effective remedy to treat heat strokes and heat related ailments.
- Aloe vera juice is also a very effective home remedy.
- Drink buttermilk with salt added to it.
- Make a paste of grinded black peppercorns with coconut milk. Apply this mixture on the body and it provides cooling effect on the body.
- Prepare raw mango juice with pepper, salt, jaggery, cumin seeds and coriander in it. Take this 3 to 4 times a day to prevent heatstrokes.
- Prepare holy basil leaves juice and add sugar to it. Drinking this juice serves as a natural remedy.
- Extract juice from onion and apply on the chest and behind the ears. This is one of the highly recommended remedies.