Heartburn – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Heartburn
Heartburn is a common stomach discomfort. It is a severe pain in the chest that occurs due to the gastric acids that flow up into the esophagus producing a discomfort and burning sensation. Frequent heartburns limit the physical activity and lead to further complications such as ulcers. Relief to this condition can be obtained only through proper understanding and treatment. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for heartburn are discussed below.
The only treatment to heartburn is to use over-the counter medications. Doctors prescribe the medications to relieve the pain of a heartburn in a person. The medications suggested are:
- Medications that control acid and heal the esophagus – Doctor may prescribe proton pump inhibitors that block the acid production and allow time for the healing of the inflamed and damaged esophageal tissue.
- Medications to reduce acid production – These are called as H-2-receptor blockers that block acid production. They act slowly but provide a quicker relief.
- Antacids that neutralize stomach acid – They neutralize the acids produced inside the stomach and provide quick relief.
Prevention of Heartburn
Heartburn can only be prevented by making simple lifestyle modifications in habits, activity and diet. The following tips help you to prevent heartburn.
- The kind of food and the quantity you eat influences very much in causing symptoms of heartburn. So always be aware of what you are eating.
- Eliminate certain gas forming foods such as onions, cucumber, cabbage and beans.
- Chew food slowly and thoroughly.
- Pay attention to your body postures after eating. Do not lie down as soon as you eat.
- Avoid wearing restrictive and tight clothing.
- Lose weight and try to maintain good health.
- Quit smoking
- Avoid taking alcohol
Home Remedies for Heart Burn
Listed below are few home remedies for heartburn:
- Make juice using raw potatoes without peeling its skin. Mix it with other juice for taste and drink it freshly.
- Drink a large glass of water as soon as you notice the first symptom of heartburn. This is very effective.
- Taking chamomile tea after meals helps to relieve esophageal irritation.
- Drink aloevera juice. This is effective remedy and heals intestinal tract.
- Taking green tea aids the body in digestion process and soothes the stomach’s sensitive tissues.
- Fresh ginger can be ground and added to foods or taken in tea or in a capsule form. This helps in reducing stomach upset.