Chronic Renal failure – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Chronic Renal Failure
Chronic renal failure (CRF) is a progressive disease that results in significant morbidity and mortality. It is the progressive and slow impairment of kidney function over time, as the main function of the kidneys is to eliminate excess fluids and other wastes from the body. The impairment usually takes months or years to occur. In the United States, more than 2 people are affected out of every 1,000 people. In most of the cases diabetes and high blood pressure are the two most causes of this disease. Treatments for CRF focus on slowing the progression of the kidney damage.
Treatment of CRF
CRF has no cure but treatment can control the symptoms and reduce the complications. They include:
Medications or drugs are used to control various symptoms that make a person more comfortable. They include:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme may be prescribed by a doctor to control high blood pressure.
- A doctor may prescribe medications called statins to lower the cholesterol.
- Anemia can be relieved by taking iron supplements or having iron rich food but take advice from your doctor before starting any medications.
- Calcium and vitamin-D supplements may be consumed to prevent weak bones.
- Other medications may be prescribed to relieve other symptoms depending on the severity of the condition.
Treatment for end-stage kidney disease
If your kidney gets damaged, then dialysis or a kidney transplant becomes the only option to support life. They include:
- Dialysis: This is a procedure where removal of waste products and extra fluid from the blood is done through an artificial method, especially when the kidney stops functioning. This is an artificial machine that works like an artificial kidney by filtering the waste products from the blood.
- Kidney transplant: If you are not suffering from any other medical conditions other than kidney failure, a kidney transplant may be an option. This is a surgical procedure where the diseased kidney is removed and replaced with a healthy kidney from a donor.
Prevention of Chronic Renal failure
The risk of CRF can be reduced by the following:
- Drink alcohol in moderation and never drink too much.
- Taking too many pain killers or non-prescribed medications can also lead to kidney damage.
- Maintain a healthy weight, by exercising most of the days and reducing the number of calories you eat.
- Stop smoking and take help from support groups, counseling and medications to quit smoking.
- If you are suffering from other medical conditions, then ask your doctor and take treatment for these conditions.
Home Remedies for Chronic Renal Failure
Some of the home remedies for CRF include:
- Grape seed extract: This extract is a very powerful antioxidant which helps in maintaining blood pressure.
- Soy protein: Soy protein can be used in various foods and it is very beneficial for CRF.
- Apples: Eat 2-3 apples every day as it is a good remedy for CRF.
- Watermelon: If it is eaten as a fruit or taken as a juice, it is very useful in curing this disorder.
- Basil: One teaspoon of basil juice and honey should be taken daily for six months. This is very beneficial for CRF.
- Pumpkin: The seed extracts of pumpkin are found to be a very useful remedy for treating this kidney failure.
- Burdock: The extracts of the burdock root are helpful in curing this disorder.
- Yoga: Certain yoga asanas like pavanmuktasana, uttanpadasana, bhujangasana and halasana are also beneficial home remedies for renal failure.
- Diet: Limit the amount of protein in your diet and choose foods that have lower amounts of potassium like cabbage, green beans, tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, potatoes, bananas and oranges. Lower the amount of salt in your foods and eat a healthy diet. Try to maintain a normal routine doing those activities that you enjoy.