Bowel Cancer – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Bowel Cancer
Bowel cancer is the cancer of the colon or rectum and it rises from the cells that line the bowel. The cancer develops as a result of changes that occur in some of the genes that control the cell divisions. When gene mutations occur, the cell divides uncontrollably which results in the formation of a clump of malignant cells. In 2009, the estimated cases and deaths suffering from colon and rectal cancer was 49,920. Colon cancer is regarded as the second leading cause of death in the U.S.
Treatment of Bowel Cancer
The treatment depends mainly on the stage and severity of the cancer. The three standard interventions include:
The surgical intervention is done depending on the spread and stage of cancer. This includes:
- Surgery for early-stage cancer: If the cancer is small, localized and at an early stage, then a doctor may recommend colonoscopy. The doctor may perform laparoscopic surgery if the polyp is larger. In this procedure, a surgeon may make an incision on the abdominal wall and instruments are inserted with attached cameras that are displayed on a video monitor.
- Surgery for invasive colon cancer: The surgeon may recommend a colectomy where the cancerous part of the colon is removed and this surgery involves reconnecting the healthy portions of the colon and rectum. Sometimes, if the cancer is at the rectal outlet, then the surgeon may perform a permanent or temporary opening in the abdominal wall which connects to the remaining portion of the bowel for the elimination of the body waste. This procedure is called colostomy.
- Chemotherapy: In this type of therapy, drugs are used to destroy cancer cells. Chemotherapy can be used even after surgery to control tumor growth after surgery. In rectal cancer, a doctor may advise radiation therapy along with chemotherapy.
- Radiation therapy: In this therapy, powerful energy sources like X-rays are used to kill the cancer cells that remain after surgery. This therapy is also used to treat rectal cancer.
Alternative therapy helps you to cope up with cancer and this helps to redirect your thoughts away from fears to give you some relief. The alternative treatments include:
- Art therapy
- Dance or movement therapy
- Relaxation therapy
- Music therapy
- Your doctor can refer you to professionals who can help you learn about and try these alternate treatments.
Prevention of Bowel Cancer
Colo rectal cancer can be prevented by making certain changes. They include:
- Regular screening for colon cancer should begin from the age of 50 and above.
- Eat a variety of fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Drink alcohol moderately or stop it completely.
- Try to exercise 30 minutes every day or talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program.
- Maintain a healthy weight as a healthy diet with daily exercise can help you to maintain the caloric intake.
Natural Remedies to cure Bowel cancer
Some of the natural remedies include:
- Green tea: A glass of green tea daily can reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Garlic: Raw garlic cloves when taken reduces the risk of bowel cancer.
- Grape seed juice: Grape seed juice is found to slow the progress of cancerous cells in the colon.
- Ginger: Raw ginger can be added to your diet as it slows the growth or multiplication of cancerous cells.
- Vitamin-D and Calcium: Supplements of Vitamin-D and calcium have a direct effect on the colon.