Headache in Children – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Headache in Children
Headaches are very common in children and occurs in about 90% of school age children. They occur frequently as a child grows older. Headaches are generally caused by minor head injuries, high levels of stress and anxiety or due to an infection. They cause pain and discomfort in any region of the head. They interfere with the child’s activities and performances in school and life. It is considered to be a significant health problem. The treatment, prevention and remedies are discussed below.
Headache in Children Treatment
Treatment of headache in children depend on the type, frequency and severity of headache and the child’s age. Treatment includes medications and therapies.
Medications – Doctors prescribe pain killers to reduce the severity of pain and the frequency of headache. Along with giving medicines, the child requires home care and lifestyle changes. The different medications suggested by the doctor are:
- Pain relievers (analgesics) – Anti-inflammatory non-steroidal drugs effective in reducing the pain in the head.
- Pain reliever combination medications – A combination of analgesics along with sedatives or other drugs are prescribed. These rare more effective than analgesics.
Medications on overuse may cause side effects in a child. Hence, it is better to discuss the benefits and risks of using medications with a doctor.
Therapies – Doctor may suggest therapies in case of headaches caused by emotional factors such as depression, stress, anxiety and other mental disorders. The therapeutic treatments are:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy – This therapy helps the child to manage the stress and reduce the frequency and severity of headaches. This is a type of talk therapy in which a counselor helps the child to learn ways to cope up withe the life events.
- Biofeedback training – This therapy helps the child to control body responses that reduce pain. In this training, the child is connected to a device that monitors and gives the feedback of the child. The feedback is given on blood pressure, heart rate, muscle tension of the child. The child hence learns to cope up with the pain and to enter a better state of relaxation.
- Relaxation training – This includes the techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation, meditation, yoga and deep breathing. In this therapy, each and every muscle is made in relaxion state.
Prevention of Headache in Children
The following tips help you prevent and reduce the severity of headaches in children:
- Take preventive medications at regular intervals. The doctor may prescribe some preventive medications if the headaches are frequent and severe and interfere with child’s normal lifestyle.
- Avoid foods or drinks that contain caffeine as this product causes headache in children.
- Be alert in things that may cause stress in your child as they increase the frequency of headaches. Take your child to a counselor if the headache is linked to depression or anxiety.
- Try to promote good health habits in your child such as eating healthy snacks and meals, staying physically active, getting plenty of sleep and avoiding caffeine.
Home Remedies for Headache in Children
Listed below are few home remedies for headache in children:
- Hot foot bath is effective remedy for headache.
- Apply ice wrap on the forehead.
- Make a paste of henna leaves with vinegar. Apply this paste on the forehead for a quick relief.
- Add few drops of lemon juice into tea. This is very effective remedy for headache.
- Eat inner part of the apple with some salt in an empty stomach in the morning.
- Fresh fruit juices help to strengthens the immune system.