Headache – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Headache
Headache is a pain or discomfort in the head, scalp or neck. It can be a sharp pain, throbbing sensation or a dull ache and commonly experienced by everyone. Headaches may occur as a result of chemical and electrical imbalance sin the brain that regulate blood vessels around the head and neck. They may be caused by a wide variety of factors such as noise, genetic predisposition, hormonal imbalances, reactions caused by certain foods and stress. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for headache are discussed below.
The effective treatment of headaches are medications. Doctors suggest the necessary medication according to the type of headache. Simple pain killers are prescribed for most of the headaches. But these pain killers are not effective for some headaches.
Migraine headaches are treated through therapies.
Cluster headaches are treated through a technique where in high flow rate oxygen is inhaled.
Medications taken often can involve risks and may result in rebound headaches. The only way is to consult a doctor and take the necessary help.
How can we Prevent Headache
The following tips help to prevent headache
- Avoid overuse of pain medications. If pain relievers are taken often, they reduce the body’s natural ability to fight pain and rebound headaches may occur. Always follow the directions of the medications.
- Identify the factors that cause headaches including alcohol, foods and oversleeping and try to avoid them. Some food products such as caffeine, dairy products, chocolates and hard cheeses also cause headache.
- Reduce stress and keep the mind free from worry, mental tension, anger and anxiety.
- Exercise regularly.
- Adequate rest should be taken and exposure to rain, heat and cold should be avoided.
Home remedies for Headache
Listed below are few home remedies for headaches:
- Tea made from basil (tulsi) is very effective in case of stress headache.
- Heat a teaspoon of almond oil and allow it to cool down. Put two drops in each nostril in case of sinusitis.
- Oil massage on the scalp relieves headache and tension. Mustard oil or ghee, almond oil and sesame oil can be used for the massage.
- Wrap a wet cloth around the neck.
- Add a half teaspoon of ginger powder to one teaspoon of milk. Mix it and put two drops in each nostril twice a day.
- Mix a quarter teaspoon of clove powder to a teaspoon of cinnamon oil and apply the mixture to the location of pain.
- Take almond, cinnamon and clove in equal quantities and grind together with water to make a paste. Apply the paste on the forehead.
- Apply a paste of sandalwood powder on the forehead.
- Juice of fresh grapes relieves the pain in head region.
- Rosemary oil massage is also very effective remedy.
- Consuming watermelon juice reduces the headache caused due to heat.
- Consuming apple early in the morning helps to relieve headache.
- Steam inhalation relieves headache and hot water gargling improves the nasal blocking and sore throat.
- Keep hot water bottle on the abdomen before going to bed. This helps in relieving headache caused due to indigestion and gastric disturbances.