Food Intolerance – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Food Intolerance
Food intolerance is the inability to completely break down the food into simpler components due to the lack or insufficient amounts of enzymes. It may result in adverse reaction every time a particular food or ingredient is eaten. It can cause various symptoms such as diarrhea, bloating and abdominal pain. It is different from food poisoning i.e caused by the toxic substances and food allergy where the immune system is not activated. Every person has food intolerance towards certain type of food or other. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for food intolerance are discussed below.
Food Intolerance Treatment
The two methods of treatment of food intolerance includes:
- Avoidance of intolerable foods
- Re-establishing a level of tolerance
The foods that cause food intolerance are to be cut off in the diet. Infants and younger children with a lactose intolerance should be supplemented with hypoallergenic milk or soya milk instead of cow’s milk. In case of adults with lactose intolerance, doctor may prescribe lactase enzyme capsules or drops.
If certain foods are excluded from the diet, to build the level of tolerance and to avoid nutrient deficiencies, suitable alternatives are to be taken. A dietitian helps you in taking a proper diet to build up the level of tolerance.
How to Prevent Food Intolerance
Listed below are few steps that help to prevent the symptoms associated with food intolerance:
- Check out the food labels and the ingredients for some problematic foods. Do not forget to check for the seasonings and condiments present. They may contain some additives that ma lead to dangerous symptoms.
- When you dine out, know about how your meal was prepared. Some meals may contain certain ingredients that you cannot tolerate.
- Know about the foods in which quantity they may cause symptoms and limit your intake of foods that cause food intolerance.
Home Remedies for Food Intolerance
Listed below are few home remedies that alleviate the symptoms of food intolerance:
- Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in water and drink it before going to bed.
- Vitamin B5 and E are the powerful antioxidants. Taking them fights the symptoms of food intolerance.
- Drink chamomile or fennel tea.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and lime juice to a glass of water. Drink it before having dinner.
- Add ginger to the tea and drink it.
- Eat fresh vegetables and fruits. They help in the digestion process.
- Have a banana daily.