Erythrasma – Treatment, Prevention and Natural Remedies for Erythrasma
Erythrasma is a skin disease caused by a bacterium, Corynebacterium minutissimum. The skin disease is characterized by development of brown patches on the skin, especially in the webs between the toes and folds of the body. It most commonly affects adults, mainly who are over weight and those with diabetes. The disease spreads widely in people living in areas of tropical and sub tropical regions. The treatment, prevention and natural remedies for erythrasma are discussed below.
Treatment for Erythrasma
Erythrasma is often confused with other fungal infections of skin. This condition can easily be diagnosed because the bacterium glows coral red in color under an ultraviolet light. The treatment of erythrasma includes medications.
Doctor may prescribe medications such as:
- Oral antibiotics
- Medications to inhibit moisture and swelling
- Ointments that reduce itching
- Topical antibiotic lotions
- Antibacterial soaps to gently scrub the lesions so that they will clear up
Prevention of Erythrasma
Listed below are some of the prevention tips for erythrasma:
- Maintain good hygiene and healthy body weight
- Keeping the skin dry
- Avoid excessive moisture or heat
- Wearing clean absorbent clothing
Natural Remedies for Erythrasma
Listed below are few remedies for erythrasma:
- Tea tree oil – This oil can be applied to the affected skin area. This herb fights the infection.
- Thyme, lavender or bergamot oils – A few drops of these oils are added to water and a compress soaked in this water is applied to the affected area. These oils have antibacterial properties and help nprevent the scarring of the skin.
- Echinacea – This herb is taken internally and is believed to have antibiotic properties. It also strenghtens immune system.
- Golden seal (Hydrastis canadensis) – Make a paste of goldenseal root with water and apply directly on to the affected area. Cover the area with a bandage and leave it overnight. It reduces inflammation and fights the infection.
- Cleavers (Galium aparine) – It can be taken internally as well as compress can be applied directly to the affected area. It has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Garlic (Allium sativum) – Consume 3 garlic cloves or 3 garlic oil capsules a day till the symptoms disappear. It has antibacterial properties.