Bilharzia – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies of Bilharzia
Bilharzia also known as schistosomiasis is a disease caused by parasitic worms or blood fukes. This parasitic infection occurs when the skin comes in contact with contaminated fresh water where certain types of snails live that carry schistosomes. Schistosoma eggs are found in the fresh water when infected people defecate or urinate in the water.This parasite after entering the skin, penetrates into the blood vessels of the humans and start producing eggs which later travels to the bladder or intestines of the body and infects them.
Treatment of Bilharzia
The treatment includes:
The groups of drugs used are as follows:
- Anthelmintic drugs may be prescribed by the physician to reduce the growth of the worms.
- The patient needs to be examined every three and six months after treatment.
- If any living eggs are detected, then the treatment may be resumed.
- Antihistamines can be used to control itching.
- Anti-itch creams can be used to reduce itching.
- Calamine lotion can be applied over the red rashes.
- Cover the affected areas with a clean wet wash cloth.
- Soak yourself in a bath tub with baking soda, epsom salt or oatmeal.
- Mix baking soda in water and make it a thick paste, this can be applied to the affected areas.
- Try not to scratch the affected sites.
- If the itching is severe, then consult a dermatologist.
Prevention of Bilharzia
The following measures can be followed to prevent this parasitic infection:
- Choose the spots for swimming carefully.
- Avoid swimming in areas where the water is very contaminated.
- Avoid swimming in marshy areas where snails are found commonly.
- Avoid the shore line as they are contaminated.
- You may develop the infection if you swim at the shore line.
- Rinse your skin if exposed to fresh water immediately, after leaving the water body.
- Dry the skin vigorously with a towel.
- If you have a swimming pool, then keep it clean and chlorinate it very often.
- Wear protective clothing when working in contaminated water.
- Wash and use disinfectant solutions or detergents to clean the clothes worn during work in contaminated water.
- The only way to prevent this parasitic infection is to avoid contaminated water.
Home Remedies for treating Bilharzia
The common natural ways to cure Bilharzia include:
- Black walnut oil: One or two drops are added in a glass of water and this mixture is taken two times a day. Skin reactions may occur when you drink this oil for the elimination of worms. When the worms get exposed to this oil, they stop releasing toxins to protect themselves.
- Pumpkin seeds: When pumpkin seeds are mixed with onions and soy milk, this mixture when taken can help in almost all types of worm eradication.
- Milk weed : Milk reed is mixed with penny royal and black walnut, as this mixture is effective for blood fluke infection.
- Cloves and golden-seal root and rod: This mixture is taken as a drink and is best for parasitic infections in the liver.
- Cloves: Add cloves in every meal as this helps to kill the eggs from parasites in the intestinal tract. Cloves can be added to coffee or an herbal tea as this gives your tea a better taste.
- Apple cider: Mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and take this mixture every day. Alternatively, take one tablespoon of one part apple cider vinegar, two parts of apple juice, one part of apple brandy. This helps in getting rid the adult worms.