Behcet’s syndrome – Treatment, Home Remedies of Behcet’s Syndrome
Behcet’s syndrome is a rare disease which causes chronic inflammation of the blood vessels throughout the body.This inflammation causes a wide range of symptoms that usually seems unrelated. Some of the symptoms include skin rashes, mouth sores , lesions and genital sores. Treatment aims to reduce the signs and symptoms of this disorder and prevent complications like blindness.
Treatment of Behcet’s Disease
There is no cure for this disorder but the doctor may treat depending on the symptoms that a person suffers from. They include:
The doctor may work to control the mild signs and symptoms that a person may experience during the initial phase. They include:
- Skin ointments: Topical application of certain ointments and cream, directly to the skin and genital sores. Corticosteroid ointments reduce the inflammation and certain anesthetic gels help to relieve pain.
- Mouth rinses: Special mouth washes that has corticosteroids and other agents that reduce pain of mouth sores may be used as these mouth washes can ease the discomfort and relive pain.
- Eye Drops: Anti-inflammatory medicines or eye drops containing corticosteroids can be used as they relieve pain and redness in the eye.
If a person is suffering from moderate to severe infection, then the mode of treatment varies. They include:
The various drugs used to treat this disorder includes:
- Control inflammation: Corticosteroids are a group of drugs that control inflammation but the side effects include heartburn, weight gain, high blood pressure and osteoporosis.
- Suppression of the immune system: Immunosuppressive drugs acts on the immune system from attacking the healthy and normal tissues of the body. This reduces the inflammation that the immune system causes. Some of the possible side effects include kidney and liver problems, high blood pressure and low blood counts.
- Control infection: Antibiotics are used to reduce the infection that has occurred in the body.
- Rest: When the signs and symptoms appear, take time for yourself and take rest and follow doctors prescription regularly. Never skip medicines but take it regularly as this improves your condition.
- Support groups: Connect to organizations like The American Behcet’s Disease Association that offers chat rooms and message boards where you can connect with other people suffering from this disorder.
Natural Remedies of Behcet’s disease
The natural remedies of behcet’s syndrome includes:
- Yogurt: Turmeric is mixed with yogurt and applied to the lesions that occur in the body.
- Aloe Vera gel: This can be used in the treatment of these skin lesions.
- Neem leaves: The leaf extracts can be applied over the lesions as it is very effective in healing the skin lesions.
- Bilberry: This herb is very useful in curing eye related problems that occur in behcet’s disease.
- Echinacea, Olea europa and Propolis: These herbs are used as immune system strengtheners.
- Exercises: Mild exercise can be done to make yourself active.
- Diet: Eat a healthy diet and keep your body and mind healthy.