Behcet’s Syndrome – Causes and Symptoms of Behcet’s Syndrome
Behcet’s syndrome or disease is a multi system inflammatory disorder characterized by ulcers that are present in the mouth and genitals. Skin lesions and certain abnormalities affecting the eyes. Symptoms include lesions in the mucous membrane of the mouth and genitals. The other systems that get affected are joints, central nervous system and the gastrointestinal tract. It is also called as a chronic and a relapsing inflammatory disease. It mainly occurs between the age group of 20 to 30 years.
Causes of Behcet’s disease
- Researchers are still finding the exact cause for behcet’s disorder. It is found recently that behcet’s disease is an auto-immune disorder.
- This disorder is caused by a combination of environmental and genetic factors.
- A recent research states that a bacteria or virus can trigger this disease who have certain genetic background.
- Heavy metals and chemicals can set off the immune system and can trigger behcet’s disease.
There are some factors that can cause this disease. They include:
- Age: This disorder commonly affects men and women who are in their 20s, 30s and 40s. There is very few chances for children and older adults to develop this condition.
- Geography: Though the disease occurs worldwide but it occurs in the middle east countries and Asia.
- Sex: This disorder occurs in men and women equally but the severity of the disease is seen in men.
- Gene: Changes in certain genes is said to be associated with the development of this disorder.
Symptoms of behcet’s disease
The signs and symptoms are associated with the part of a body that is affected. Body areas that gets effected commonly are as follows and the symptoms include:
- Mouth: Sores are formed which are very painful and these sores start as round lesions in the mouth and they turn to painful ulcers.
- Skin: Lesions may occur on the skin. These lesions are raised, red and tender nodules on the skin and occur more on the lower legs.
- Genitals: Round, red and painful ulcerated lesions form on the genital area and they may leave scars.
- Eyes: Behcet’s disease may cause inflammation in the eye along with redness, blurring of the vision and pain. Inflammation occurs on the retina which is a serious complication.
- Joints: Swelling and pain in the joints is a common signs and this may last for 2 to 3 weeks. The ankle and the elbow also may be affected.
- Vascular system: The veins and large arteries get inflamed and when a blood clot occurs then there is pain and swelling in the arms and legs. Inflammation in the arteries may block the vessels causing further complications.
- Gastrointestinal system: Abdominal pain, diarrhea and bleeding may be the common symptoms that affect the digestive system.
- Brain: This causes inflammation of the brain and the central nervous system. This inflammation leads to fever, headache , disorientation, poor balance or stroke.
When to consult your Medical Professional?
When you notice these unusual symptoms, consult your doctor immediately before the condition worsens. If you have already been diagnosed with this disorder then if you observe any new symptoms, then consult your physician immediately.