Bladder Stones – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies of Bladder Stones
Bladder stones are crystalline or calcified masses that are formed from proteins and minerals which occur naturally in the urine. These stones can form anywhere in the urinary tract before getting deposited in the bladder.They begin as tiny granules and later grow to more than an inch in diameter. These can block the urine flow causing retention of urine which results in difficulty and pain while urinating. These stones can cause trauma to the bladder wall, that may lead to infection or bleeding.
- Firstly, the doctor may put the patient on intravenous fluids.
- Anti-emetics and pain killers may be prescribed to control pain and nausea.
- Anti inflammatory drugs may be given to reduce the inflammation in the bladder.
- The patient may be hospitalized till the condition stabilizes.
- When such treatment is given, the stones may pass through the urine in a natural way.
- Antibiotics may be given in case of severe infections in the bladder wall or kidney.
The various surgical interventions that help in removing the stone includes:
- Lithotripsy: In this procedure, a small flexible scope called ureteroscope is inserted into the urethra, through the bladder. The ureteroscope can be used with a device to break the stones into smaller pieces which can be removed with the ureteroscope or sometimes it is passed in the urine.This device is a laser device.
- Shock wave therapy: In this procedure, shock waves are passed to break the stone into fragments which allows the small pieces of stones into the bladder.
- Open Surgery: When the bladder stones are too large or hard, then it is removed through an open surgery. The surgeon makes an incision in the bladder and removes the stones directly.
Prevention of Bladder stones
The chance of developing bladder disease can be reduced by following these tips:
- Diagnosis of an enlarged prostate or any other urological condition and treating it at an early stage reduces the risk of developing bladder stones.
- Drink lots of water, as fluids dilute the minerals in your bladder and thereby prevent bladder stones.
- The amount of water you drink depends on the age, size, health and level of activity.
- Drink a lot of fresh fruit juices after consulting your doctor.
- Maintain a healthy life style by eating a well balanced diet.
Home remedies for Bladder Stones:
The home remedies for bladder stones include:
- Cranberry juice: Cranberry juice when taken daily, it prevents infection by slowing the bacterial growth.
- Lemon: Squeeze lemon and mix it in 1teaspoon of olive oil with 1 teaspoon of honey. Drink this mixture in the morning before breakfast for a month.
- Watermelon: Include watermelon in your diet as this shoes drastic changes and significant improvement in the symptoms of bladder stones.
- Elderberry and Dandelion: Put the leaves in a bowl and add two cups of very hot water and then strain it and cool, then sweeten with honey and drink this mixture. This is very effective for bladder stones.
- Pomegranate: The pomegranate seeds are made into a thick paste with one cup of horse gram soup and this mixture is taken for several months,
- A well balanced diet is important in keeping the kidney healthy.
- Avoid condiments, alcoholic drinks, pickles, vegetables like radish, cucumber, spinach, asparagus, cabbage and cauliflower, meat and gravies and carbonated water.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid calcium and phosphate containing foods.
- Low protein diet should be taken.
- Exercise can keep your body healthy.
- Yoga and meditation can be done early in the morning