Glomerulonephritis in Children – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Glomerulonephritis in Children
Glomerulonephritis is inflammation of the filtering units of kidney called glomeruli. The inflammation results in excess of protein and other substances to leak from the blood into the urine. The kidney hence becomes less effective in filtering out the waste products that may lead to kidney failure. Glomerulonephritis may be acute i.e develops suddenly or chronic i.e gradually develops for some years.
In children, the disease mainly occurs as a result of streptococcal infections and less often as a result from other viral and bacterial infections. It is commonly seen in children between ages 6 to 10. The treatment, prevention and remedies for glomerulonephritis in children are discussed below.
Glomerulonephritis in Children Treatment
Treatment for glomerulonephritis in children will be determined by the medical profession based on
certain factors such as:
- The child’s medical history, overall health and age
- Expectations for the disease course
- Child’s tolerance for medicines, procedures and therapies
- The extent of the disease
- The form of disease i.e acute or chronic
Treatments for glomerulonephritis in children include:
- Dialysis – Dialysis is a medical treatment that removes the excess and waste fluids from the blood and controls blood pressure. It is provided for both acute and chronic glomerulonephritis.
- Medications – The doctor may prescribe medications such as:
- Immunosuppressive agents
- Phosphate binders that decrease the amount of phosphorus in the blood
- Blood pressure medications
- Decreased potassium and salt diet
- Decreased protein diet
- Fluid restriction
- Kidney transplant is also an option but involves risks
Prevention of Glomerulonephritis in Children
Here are some of the precautionary methods that help to prevent the risk of glomerulonephritis in children:
- Keep a check on the diet if there is a previous history of the disease
- Consult a doctor immediately as soon as a slight irritation starts
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Keep a close check on urine habits
Natural Remedies for Glomerulonephritis in Children
Listed below are some of the natural remedies for glomerulonephritis in children:
- Give your child a hot epsom salt bath every alternate day. This provides relief to the kidneys.
- Mix a glassful of carrot juice with 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of lime juice. Let your child drink this before breakfast everyday.
- Give choline rich foods.
- Give your child 8 to 9 bananas a day for 3 to 4 days. They are a very effective remedy because of their low salt and protein content.
- Vegetables such as asparagus, parsely, celery, cucumber and garlic are to be given to your child in the diet.