Ankylosing Spondylitis – Treatment and Natural Remedies of Ankylosing Spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis is the chronic inflammation of the joints between the vertebrae of the spine and pelvis. It is a systemic infection, where the symptoms are not limited to the joints. People with this condition may have fever, fatigue and loss of appetite. It is also called rheumatoid spondylitis and the treatment for this disorder focuses to decrease pain and lessen the symptoms. Effective treatment helps to prevent physical deformities and complications.
The main goal of treatment is to relieve pain and stiffness and prevent deformities and complications.The various interventions include:
The doctor may prescribe the following group of medications for those suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. They include:
- Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are the most commonly used drugs that can relieve inflammation, stiffness and pain.
- Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) acts on the inflamed joints of the legs, arms and other tissues.
- Corticosteroids are those group of drugs that slows the damage of the joints.
- Antibiotics are given to reduce the infection.
Physical therapy involves specially designed exercises and thew main goal is to keep the joints flexible and maintain range of motion.They include:
- Back extension exercises helps to correct the spinal curve.
- Deep breathing exercises maintains the capacity of the lungs.
- Therapists teach proper sitting and sleeping postures.
- Aerobic exercises are very useful as they expand the breathing of the muscles and opens the airway of the lungs.
- Swimming is another exercise that avoids the jarring impact of the spine.
- Consult an orthopedist before starting with any physical therapy.
Some of the exercises include:
Floor exercises: Firstly, lie on your back and knees should be bent, place your feet flat on the floor. Lift your hips off the floor and hold on for 5 seconds and then lower slowly.
Chair exercises: First sit on a stable chair and keep your feet on the floor. Place your hands to the sides and with your left hand hold the chair. Try to bend sideways toward the right as far as possible but do not bend forward and let your right hand reach the floor. Repeat the same procedure on the opposite side.
- Genetic factors appear to play a major role in ankylosing spondylitis, hence it is not possible to prevent this condition.
- Proper and early treatment helps to relieve joint pain and may prevent or delay the onset of physical deformities.
- Burdock: It is also known as Arctium lappa and the extracts of this burdock root helps in reducing the joint pain.
- Holy Mangrove: The extracts of this plant helps reduce the inflammation.
- Vernonia condensata: The leaves of this plant are extracted and used for treating ankylosing spondylitis.
- Vitex negundo: This is very effective in pain control and inflammation.
- Zingiber officinale: It is also called ginger and has an excellent anti-inflammatory property.
- Garlic: When raw garlic cloves are taken, this helps to reduce the inflammation.
- Diet: Take foods rich in calcium and other vitamins and if needed ask your doctor to prescribe certain supplements.
- Massage: Treat yourself with a massage as this helps to reduce stress and relaxes the muscles.