Gingivitis – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Gingivitis
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums. It is a form of periodontal disease i.e involves the infection and swelling that destroys the tissues of the gums, ligaments and tooth sockets. Gingivitis is a milder form of gum disease and causes little pain in the earlier stages. It may lead to severe swelling and bleeding of gums if not treated properly. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for gingivitis are discussed below.
The several ways to treat gingivitis are:
- Fixing dental restorations
- Mouth rinse
- Thorough dental cleaning
Treatment for gingivitis usually begins with thorough teeth cleaning. The procedure is called as scaling. This includes removal of all the traces of plaque and tartar. Cleaning becomes difficult if the gums are weak. For this doctor may prescribe an antiseptic mouth wash to rinse away the microorganisms. Doctor may also suggest different flossing and brushing techniques to do an effective scaling.
It may pose difficulty in removing plaque if the teeth are misaligned and poorly fitted. The dentist may also treat these problems as well along with gingivitis.
Practice a good oral hygiene after a professional cleaning. Maintain a good hygiene throughout the life so that gingivitis may not recur.
Prevention of Gingivitis
The best way to prevent gingivitis is to practice a good oral hygiene. Regular professional cleaning of the teeth is very important as the tartar or plaque developed can only be removed by the dentist alone.
The following ways help to prevent the gingivitis from developing:
- Go for regular dental checkups for every 6 to 12 months
- Avoid cigarettes and other forms of tobacco
- Eat nutritious food that is good for teeth and gums
- Brush and floss the teeth properly to remove debris and plaque
Home Remedies for Gingivitis
Here are few home remedies that help to treat gingivitis:
- It is advisable to use toothpaste and mouthwashes that contain peppermint oil, sage oil, menthol and chamomile tincture. These substances are effective in treating gingivitis.
- Have cranberry juice without adding sugar in it. This is very effective in treating gingivitis.
- Increase the intake of vegetables and fruits that are rich in vitamin C, fiber and low in saturated fats.
- Prepare a mixture of water and baking soda. Apply this to the affected area with a finger and then brush teeth with herbal powder. This remedy not only heals the gums but also neutralizes the acidity of bacteria.
- Rub aloe vera pulp in the mouth and gargle with water. Repeat the process daily. This is very helpful in treating gingivitis.
- Add a pinch of salt to lukewarm water. Gargle the mixture twice a day.
- Rub the gums with clove oil or else chew a piece of clove in the mouth. This is a very effective remedy.