Giardiasis – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Giardiasis
Giardiais is an infection of the small intestine caused by a microscopic organism called giardia lamblia. It is the most common gastrointestinal disease. The infection is characterized by bloating, nausea, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. The infection is spread through contaminated food, water and person-to-person contact. The signs and symptoms develop within 1 to 2 weeks after getting infected. The treatment, prevention and home remedies for giardiasis are discussed below.
Many people infected with giardiasis do not need treatment since the problems do not persist longer. When the signs and symptoms become severe, the infection has to be treated. Giardiasis is treated with medications that kill the parasites. The medicine is given as a liquid that an infected person can drink. But medications include some side effects.
Take the medicine as long as the doctor directs. This will kill the parasite and thus helps in preventing the infection from spreading to others.
Self care treatment at home
- Drink plenty of fluids such as soda, fruit juices and soups. Take them throughout a day in little quantities.
- Avoid getting dehydrated by sucking at-least ice chips.
- After a period of 12 hours of infection, foods such as boiled vegetables, cereals, toast, rice, noodles and potatoes can be taken. Do not take fried foods.
- After dehydration stops, take a regular diet and avoid milk for few weeks.
Prevention of Giardiasis
Here are few precautionary methods that reduce the risk of developing infection and spreading the infection to others;
- Have your drinking water checked regularly.
- Wash your hands properly before handling food, after touching pets, using bathrooms or after changing diapers.
- Do not eat unpeeled or uncooked vegetables or fruits.
- Do not brush or bath with tap water that may be contaminated.
- Do not drink water from lakes or fresh water streams without boiling or filtering water.
- Drink water only from supplies that are approved by the local health authorities.
- Avoid oral and anal sexual practices.
Home Remedies for Giardiasis
Here are some effective home remedies that help in treating giardiasis:
- Prepare carrot juice and add 1 teaspoon of honey. Take a teaspoon of this mix before breakfast and before going to bed.
- Take 10 to 15 drops of fresh garlic juice with half glass of milk 2 to 3 times a day.
- Grape fruit seed extract is found in liquid form in health food stores. This is very effective remedy.
- Take a glass of hot water. Add grated onion to it. Leave the mixture for 12 hours and filter. Have this extract for 3 to 4 days.