Arthritis in Children – Treatment and Natural Remedies for Arthritis in Children
Juvenile arthritis is one of the common childhood disorder which occurs in children younger than 18 years of age. Juvenile arthritis is the inflammation of the joints that results in swelling of the joint and associated with loss of mobility due to rigidity of the muscles. The most common type of arthritis is the rheumatoid arthritis. Genetic factors and other bacterial infections are thought to be different causes of this disease.
Treatment for Juvenile Arthritis
The treatment for arthritis in children focuses in helping a child to maintain a normal level of physical and social activity. Doctor uses different strategies to maintain strength and full movement. The treatment includes:
Some children may need medications that slows the progression of the disease but few may need pain killers to relieve pain. They include:
- Non steroidal anti-inflammatory is a group of drugs that reduces the inflammation.
- Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) are drugs that are prescribed by the doctor to relieve swelling and joint pain.
- Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blockers can help to reduce pain and morning stiffness.
- Corticosteroids may reduce the inflammation.
- A physical therapist may give advise regarding the best exercise and protective equipment that can be used by your child.
- The therapist may recommend use of special supports or splints to help protect joints and keep them in good functional position.
Certain changes in the lifestyle of a child can help him or her to limit the effects of arthritis. They include:
- Exercise can help promote both muscle strength and joint flexibility.
- To relieve morning stiffness, a hot compress or hot shower or bath can be given
- Some children respond well to cold pack application or compress.
- Eat a well balanced diet and have calcium rich foods because children are prone to develop weak bones.
Natural Remedies for Arthritis
Effective arthritis treatment includes:
- Olive oil: A gentle massage with olive oil is very effective to relieve pain.
- Garlic: Dilute juniper, sage, rosemary, thyme,garlic (1 part) to 10 parts of olive oil and use this mixture to massage on the painful joints.
- Enema: Luke warm water enema can be given to relieve constipation.
- Steam baths: Body rub and steam baths can be given as this helps to relieve pain.
- You can ask for the doctor for an extra addition of calcium, vitamin-c and zinc supplements.
Coping and support
Family members play a major role in a child to cope with juvenile arthritis. As a parent, try the following:
- Treat your child with arthritis as other children in your family.
- Encourage your child to participate in physical activities, after consulting your child’s doctor and physical therapist.
- Connect with other families who are undergoing similar circumstances.
- The Arthritis Foundation’s JA Alliance is one of the online community devoted to serving the special needs of a child.
- The organization sponsor’s programs, support groups, camps and conferences for all those families and children suffering from arthritis.
- Eat well and lead a healthy life as this makes a child physically, mentally and emotionally stable and this results in leading a happy life.