Alport syndrome – Treatment and Prevention of Alport syndrome
Alport syndrome is also called as hereditary nephritis. There may be nerve deafness and congenital abnormalities of the eye associated with this disorder and is uncommon but often affects males as the defect is found on the X chromosome. Although there is no cure for this syndrome but treatment is available for the kidneys to function as fully as possible. A person suffers from this disorder when a type of collagen is missing from the kidney. This collagen which is missing causes inflammation in the kidney and obstructs the normal functioning of the kidney.
Treatment of Alport syndrome
This is a genetically caused disorder and so a complete prevention or cure of this syndrome is not possible. The first step is to treat the high blood pressure and keep it under control. The treatment may include:
- Medications like diuretics and Angitensin-converting enzyme inhibitors may be prescribed by the physician.
- The doctor may prescribe drugs like anti-biotic to reduce the infection.
- If kidney failure happens, temporary dialysis can help remove excess fluid and this helps to control, high blood pressure.
- The only treatment for long term kidney failure, is to undergo kidney transplant.
- When a transplant is not possible, dialysis is the only option.
Can this syndrome be prevented?
There’s no way to prevent this disorder but here are a few steps to be followed. They include:
- Seek prompt treatment when you suffer any of the symptoms of this syndrome.
- Keep a control on your blood sugar.
- Keep your blood pressure under control.
- Control your salt and protein intake.
- Follow the instructions of your doctor and go for regular check up.
- Take medications promptly.
- Eat a well balanced diet.
- Deep breathing exercises can be done as it reduces the effects and helps you to relax.
- Potassium intake should be reduced to slow the collection of wastes in your blood.
- Meditation can be of great help in reducing the adverse affects of this disorder.
- Take enough rest and lead a healthy life.