Angelman Syndrome – Treatment of Angelman Syndrome
Angelman syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes developmental delay and neurological problems. Children suffering from this disorder may suffer from developmental delay, severe speech impairment, intellectual disability and problems with movement and balance. Most of the children suffer from recurrent seizures and the head size is very small. Treatment focuses on managing the child’s medical and developmental problems because there is no way in repairing the chromosomal defect.
Treatment of Angelman syndrome
Team of health care professionals work together to manage your child’s condition. Depending on the symptoms the child is suffering, the treatment for angel man syndrome includes the following:
- The child is put on medication to control seizures that occur due to Angelman syndrome.
- Take medications that are prescribed by your physician.
- Physical therapy includes exercises that corrects the movement and posture of your child.
- They learn to walk better and overcome other movement problems.
- Though children with this syndrome don’t develop verbal language beyond small sentences communication therapy can be useful.
- Non-verbal communication can be taught to the child through picture communication and sign language.
- This therapy helps children to overcome short attention span and hyperactivity.
- This help in building a good relationship with the family and friends and they understand the disorder of the child.
Coping and support
When you know that your child is suffering from Angelman syndrome, you may worry about your family and may not know what to expect. There are resources that can help you and they include:
- Work with a team: A team of doctors and therapists to help you with important decisions. These professionals help you to identify and care for your child’s need.
- Support group: Support groups and other organizations in your area can be of help in connecting with other families facing the same problems. Organizations like the National institute of Neurological disorders and Stroke do research works on such disorders and treats them accordingly.