Astigmatism – Treatment and HomeRemedies of Astigmatism
Astigmatism is a common, mild and easily treated disorder of the eye which can cause blurred vision. This disorder occurs when the front of the eye (cornea) or the lens inside your eye has a slight curve in one direction from the other. It causes blurred vision and is often present at birth and can occur in combination with nearsightedness or farsightedness.The treatment includes contact lenses and surgery.
The treatment of astigmatism is to even the curve present in the cornea causing blurred vision. The treatment include:
If you wear corrective lens, it counteracts the uneven curve of your cornea.The various types of corrective lens include:
- Contact lenses can correct both lenticular and corneal astigmatism.
- Many varieties are available like soft, hard, rigid gas permeable, disposable and bifocal.
- Contact lenses are used in a procedure called orthokeratology where you wear lenses for several hours for few days, till the curvature improves.
- For the next few days, you wear less frequently to maintain the new shape.
- This treatment should be continued till your cornea becomes even and regains the normal shape.
Eyeglasses help to even the curvature of the eye just like contact lenses.
Refractive surgery helps to correct the problem by shaping the surface of the eye. Refractive surgery includes the following methods:
- LASIK surgery: Laser assisted in-situ keratomileusis is a small procedure in which a doctor uses a device called keratome which helps to make a circular, thin cut into your cornea.The surgeon lifts the flap and uses an excimer laser and sculpts the corneal shape which is under the flap.
- Photorefractive keratectomy(PKR): The surgeon removes the outer layer of the cornea before using an excimer to change the shape of the cornea.
- Laser-assisted subepithelial keratomileusis (LASEK): In this technique, a thinner layer of the cornea is folded back, which makes your eye less vulnerable for an injury in the future. This procedure is better for those people who are at frequent risk of an injury at work or from playing sports.
- Almonds, fennel and sugar candy can be grinded in equal quantities to form a thick paste and 10 gms of this mixture is taken at night with milk.
- Massage the soles and toes of foot daily with mustard seeds as this improves the eyesight.
- Mangoes are a good source of vitamin-A and calcium.
- Carrots and tomatoes should be consumed regularly for normal vision.
- Fill a green bottle with water and keep it under the sunlight and rinse your eye with this water regulerly as this will help in curing myopia.
Know the pros and cons from your doctor and then go forward for the above procedures.