Astigmatism – Causes and Symptoms Astigmatism
Astigmatism is a common condition of the eye and is characterized by an irregular curve in the cornea. This is one type of refractive eye disorder and the eye of the person is shaped like a football. In this disorder when light enters the eye, refraction takes place in one direction than the other, this makes only part of the object to be focused at one time. Objects appear blurry and wavy at any distance.This condition can be corrected by contact lenses, eyeglasses or surgery.
What causes Astigmatism?
The causes of Astigmatism include:
- One if the main causes of this disorder is hereditary and occurs from birth.
- It can result due to pressure from the eyelids towards the cornea, increased use of eyes for close work or an incorrect posture.
- If your lens or cornea is not smoothly and evenly curved, the light rays are not refracted correctly.
- When the cornea is distorted in its shape, it is corneal astigmatism.
- When the lens is distorted, it is called lenticular astigmatism.
- Astigmatism can occur in combination with other refractive disorders.
- Nearsightedness or myopia happens when the cornea is curved too much and the lightfocused on the retina is very little.
- The light is focused in front of the retina, which results in a blurred vision.
- Farsightedness or hypeoropiaoccurs when your corneal curvature is too little.
- Light is set at a direction behind the back of your eye making nearby objects blurred.
- The effect in hyperopia is just the opposite when compared to nearsightedness or myopia.
What are the symptoms of Astigmatism?
Signs and symptoms of astigmatism may include:
- Blurred vision
- Distortions in portions of the visual field
- Blurring of small print
- Difficulty in reading
- Inability to see both near and distant objects
- Tired eyes
- Irritation of the eyes
- Discomfort in the eyes
- Very rarely, watering of the eyes
When to consult your doctor?
When you find the above signs and symptoms, talk to your ophthalmologist and take the needed treatment immediately.