Episcleritis – Treatment of Episcleritis and Natural Remedies for Episcleritis
Episcleritis is an inflammatory condition of episclera, a connective tissue present between the conjunctiva and sclera of the eye. The redness of the eye makes the condition look similar to conjunctivitis but without discharge. It has no definite cause and is associated with other inflammatory conditions such as lupus, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis, etc. The treatment and natural remedies for episcleritis are discussed below.
Episcleritis is a self-limiting disease and clears up on its own in a short period. Hence, treatment is not required in majority of the cases. But to soothe the irritation, the following treatments are helpful:
- Anti-inflammatory agents and lubricants are recommended for those who are experiencing discomfort. These medications, when applied, decrease the tenderness and speed resolution of the eye.
- Chilled artificial tears or eye drops can be used to reduce mild inflammation and soothe sore eyes.
- Oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are recommended for those affected with nodular episcleritis.
- Pain relievers may be recommended to lessen the discomfort of episcleritis while treating for systemic disorders such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.
- Wearing sunglasses will provide relief to the affected person’s eyes.
Prevention of Episcleritis
Even though episcleritis does not cause any severe effects, care should be taken by the affected person to prevent frequent attacks. Seek an eye specialist help to know the ways of prevention.
Natural Remedies for Episcleritis
Here are a few natural herbs which promote recovery from episcleritis and help prevent further complications.
Echinacea, Olea europea, Astragalus membranaceous and Propolis – These are immune system strengtheners. They make the immune system strong and healthy, thus protecting against infections of eye and eye allergies.
Aspalathus linearis and Sutherlandia frutescens – These are effective anti-oxidants. They maintain a healthy supply of essential nutrients, oxygen and blood to the eye thus enhancing the eye recovery.
Vaccinium myrtillus – It is a commonly used herb. It strengthens the eye capillaries, prevents eye infections and diseases, and restores the eye health.