Fibromyalgia – Treatment and Home Remedies for Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain, stiffness, tenderness of joints, muscles and tendons. It is the common condition affecting muscles but not involved in inflammation. It does not cause any internal body damage but is seen along with other medical conditions like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. A number of factors are responsible for the condition. The treatment and home remedies are discussed below.
Fibromyalgia treatments include medications, therapies and self care. Thus there are a number of remedial processes that help to control the disease.
Medical treatment of fibromyalgia is aimed towards reducing the pain and improving the quality of sleep. A deep sleep is important for many body functions such as immune system, regulation of neurotransmitters, antibody production and tissue repair. Therefore, sleeping disorders that occur in fibromyalgia are treated first as this is the most central factor to other symptoms.
Doctors may prescribe medications for:
- Inducing good sleep
- Increasing the levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that induces sleep
- Reducing the long-term pain
- Reducing the muscle pains. Usually anti-epileptics are prescribed to reduce muscle pains
Here are some other treatments mentioned that are generally recommended by doctors:
- Gentle exercises
- Therapeutic massage
- Osteopathic manipulation
- Relaxation techniques
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Trigger point injections
- Lifestyle changes
- Counseling for depressants
- Emotional support
Home Remedies for Fibromyalgia
Following are some of the effective home remedies for Fibromyalgia:
- Prepare a glass of lemon juice with lukewarm water and add honey to it. Take the fresh juice.
- Freshly prepared juice of vegetables like carrot, cabbage, beetroot, etc. is to be taken 2 to 3 times a day. This is very effective and healthy for overall health
- Pine bark and grape seeds extracts ease the pains and act as natural anti-inflammatory products.
- Foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids such as olive oil, avocados, walnuts, sardines and salmon fishes should be taken. It reduces the joints pains.
- Apply ice packs or hot packs to the joint pains for sometime. This gives relief.
- Massage the aching joints with hot vinegar before going to bed. This gives relief.
- Add one tablespoon of cod liver oil to orange juice and drink before going to bed.
- One part of kerosene mixed with two parts of pure olive oil is to be applied on the affected muscles. The solution gives a quick relief.
- Maintain a good diet and eliminate sweet drinks, cakes, pie, white flour and sugar.