Fever – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Fever
A fever is a condition where the body temperature rises above the normal. The normal body temperature is 37 degrees C (98.6 F) and the elevation of this level leads to the condition. The elevations in the body temperature are commonly due to viral or bacterial infections. Hence, fever is a part of illness or a symptom of an infection or disease. Fever serves as body’s natural defense mechanism against infections since the bacteria and viruses cannot live at high temperatures.
Treatment depends on the type and cause of fever. Generally, fever need not be treated if it does not cause much discomfort. But if the temperature is very high and causing a lot of discomfort to the patient, a medical attention is needed. The things you can do to bring down the temperature and provide comfort to the patient are as follows.
- Remove the excessive layers of clothing from the body
- Suck ice cubes
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration
- Allow the fresh air to circulate in your place
- The room temperature should be in a comfortable level
- Consult a doctor and take the prescribed medication regularly. Usually anti-pyretics are prescribed
Prevention of Fever
Fever can be prevented if the exposure to infections reduce. The following are some of the methods to be followed to prevent fever:
Wash your hands frequently. Also wash your hands before eating, after using toilet, after holding pet animals, after spending time in a crowd,etc. Hand wash should be vigorous and thoroughly rinse them in running water. Always carry a sanitizer when you don’t have soap and water.
Viral infections spread through eyes, mouths and noses. So always keep them clean. Teach your kids not to touch them.
Cover your nose while sneezing and mouth while coughing and turn away from others.
Home Remedies for Fever
The following are the home remedies that are very effective in treating fevers:
- Take a tablespoon of honey and add few drops of lime juice and ginger juice. Consume this mixture. This is very effective in treating fever.
- Prepare a juice using tamarind leaves and turmeric powder with cold water. Have the juice. This eliminates the fever and infection.
- Crush raisins along with ginger and immerse in water. Boil it and drink the decoction when warm.
- Add lemon grass, ginger pieces, onion pieces, black pepper, turmeric powder and basil leaves to the boiling water. Take this three times a day.
- Have lots of oranges. They increase the energy in the body and promote resistance against infection.
- Prepare tea with fenugreek seeds. It provides a soothing effect and dissolves the mucus accumulated in the chest.
- Mix saffron in water and boil the mixture. Prepare tea out of it. Take a teaspoon of this every half an hour.