Alzheimer’s Disease – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies of alzheimer’s disease
Alzheimer’s is a degenerative disease of the brain which results in severe and serious impairment which hinders the thinking and memory abilities of the person. It is the most common forms of dementia and is a progressive and fatal brain disease. In the United States of America, around 5.3 million people are living with this disorder. It can get fatal and as per the statistics,this disease is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States. Treatment for symptoms and when combined with right support and services we can make the lives of these millions of people free from alzheimers disease.
Treatment of Alzheimer’s disease
Although there is no cure for this disease,doctors may prescribe drugs to reduce the signs and symptoms. They include:
- Cholinesterase inhibitors are a group of drugs that may be prescribed by the health care provider. This improves the level of neurotransmitters in the brain.
- The main thing that happens in the brain is damage of neurons which is responsible for the thinking and reasoning process.
- These drugs act by improving the neurotransmitters but these drugs may have certain side-effects.
- The side-effects may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Memantine is another drug which may be prescribed by the doctor as it protects the brain cells from damage.
- The common side-effect is dizziness.
Although this disorder cannot be prevented but certain risk factors that can cause alzheimer’s disease can be reduced. They include:
- Reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Blood pressure, blood glucose levels and cholesterol should be kept under control.
- Remain active, physically, mentally and socially.
- A Healthy lifestyle can be of great help because it may postpone or prevent the development of this disease.
- Maintain a healthy weight and eat a healthy diet as this may reduce the risk of developing this disease.
- The doctor may advise you to have lots of vegetables and fruits, fish or poultry, whole grain breads, proteins like nuts, beans and seeds.
- Reduce the intake of saturated fats and use more olive oil.
- Exercise your body as this has been associated with lower incidence of alzheimer’s disease.
- Remain active mentally as this may delay the onset of this disease.
- If you are in the initial stages, use a calender and note the activities that happen on daily a basis.
- This may be of great help if the problem worsens.
Some of the natural remedy helps to enhance the nervous system and improve mental alertness. The home remedies for Alzheimer’s include:
- Almonds: They are believed to boost the memory. Soak 10 almonds in the night and in the morning make a paste after peeling off the brown skin and 1 table spoon with butter every morning.
- Holy basil: Boiling of the holy basil leaves in water and then it is allowed to cool, strained and the decoction is taken. Leaves can be taken after washing them.
- Honey: Black pepper is finely grounded and sprinkled on 1 tablespoon of honey and this is taken once a day. This improves the memory.
- Rosemary: This herb is boiled in a cup of water and then it is strained, then a squirt of lemon juice is added to the mixture and taken twice a day. This herb is called as the herb for remembrance.
- Walnuts: 20 grams of walnuts is consumed early in the morning as this is very useful in improving the memory.