Typhoid Fever – Treatment, Prevention and Remedies of Typhoid Fever
In most cases, the typhoid fever is not fatal. Antibiotics like ampicillin, Amoxicillin, chloramphenicol, ciprofloxacin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole etc. have been found effective in treating the typhoid fever. These antibiotics were most commonly used in the developed countries for prompt treatment of the disease.
The fever can last for about 3-4 weeks. Only about 10-30% of the total number of untreated cases may face fatal results. The most common treatment involves the combination of Cefixime with Acetylcysteine to treat Typhoid fever. The Cefixime can break the cell wall of the bacteria whereas the acetylcysteine can neutralize the endotoxin released by the bacteria. The rise in the body temperature is due to the action of this endotoxin.
Prevention of Typhoid Fever
The most vital measures that can be taken to prevent the typhoid are proper sanitation and maintaining hygiene. Animals cannot get infected by typhoid infection, hence only humans are transmitted with the disease. Proper care must be taken while preparing food. Washing of fruits and vegetables properly is the most easy way to prevent any disease. Careful food preparation and washing of hands are crucial to preventing typhoid.
Home Remedies of Typhoid Fever
The typical characterization symptoms of Typhoid fever can be reduced using some prescribed home remedies. A few of such home-cure methods include –
- Avoidance of eating solid foods during the period of infection.
- Eating foods that can be digested easily should be consumed.
- Fruits like oranges, sweet lime etc. are better for consumption.
- Keep the patient in a clean and well-ventilated room.
- Basil leaf and Black Pepper tablet may be taken. 4 basil leaves, 7 grains of black pepper and 7 shreds of saffron must be ground together to make a paste. Tablets are then formed out of the paste, which is consumed twice or thrice everyday with lukewarm milk.
- Buttermilk – Add 1-2 tsp of juice freshly made of coriander leaves to 1 cup of buttermilk. This can be taken 2-3 in a day.
- Banana is also effective. Mash a ripe banana and mix with 1 tbs of honey. This mixture can then be taken twice in a day.
- Honey adds a soothing effect to the affected digestive system. Honey can be added to some hot water and given to the patient frequently. It also prevents weakness.
- Cloves can also be used as an effective home remedy. Take clove water by boiling 5 cloves in about 2 litres of water. Remove the mixture from the stove after the water gets reduced to half the measurement. Strain it and give it to the patient frequently.
- Orange has also been found effective in cooling and relieving the discomfort. Orange can either be taken in its natural form or as juice or milk shakes. This is a very beneficial home cure method.
- Other effective home remedies include eating dry fruits specially large raisins, mosambi, apple etc.