Addison’s Disease – Treatment and Natural Remedies of addison’s disease
Addison’s disease is also called as adrenal insufficiency where the adrenal glands do not produce certain hormones. The hormones cortisol and aldosterone are the hormones that are not produced by the adrenal gland which is situated above the kidney. Cortisol helps to maintain blood pressure, maintain blood glucose levels, regulate the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fats. Treatment for this disorder is usually lifelong and after the treatment is started, many people lead a normal and healthy lives.
The treatment plan for a patient suffering from Addison’s disease includes:
- Medicines are administered to replace the lost hormones aldosterone and cortisol.
- Doctors may put the patient on short-acting medicines which can be given 2-3 times a day.
- In few cases, long-acting medicines can also be given.
- There are some drugs that can compensate both the hormones.
- Salt is increased in the diet because in the case of adrenal failure sodium is lost from the body.
- During hot and humid climates, extra sodium is needed to compensate the sodium loss.
- Avoid potassium chloride salts as potassium is retained in the body in addison’s disease
- Patients suffering with adrenal insufficiency who are advised for surgery are firstly treated with saline and injections to replace the hormonal balance.
- The dosage of the injections are given till the maintenance dose is given before the surgery time.
In pregnant women
- Women who suffer from adrenal insufficiency and become pregnant are treated with replacement therapy.
- Injections of the hormones may be given by the doctor.
- The usual maintenance dose is given orally for about 10 days after childbirth as per the doctors prescription.
- Chew a piece of ginger or few fennel seeds after each meal as it is easy for digestion.
- Water of tender coconut is taken to reduce the fluid electrolyte imbalance.
- Chamomile tea gives relaxation to the muscles and relieves pain.
- Deep breathing exercises can be done.
- Regular intake of the medications is needed to maintain the hormonal balance.
- Meditation also can be done as it helps in relaxation of the body.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco as they are not useful in any way to the body.
- Avoid strenuous activity in hot and humid climate.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Take rest and Don’t skip meals.
Coping and Support
- Emergency can occur anywhere, so always carry a medical alert card and bracelet.
- Always keep extra medications with you because you are not supposed to miss any dose.
- Take injections that your doctor prescribed and do not forget the pills.
- Keep them always in your bag, where ever you are traveling.
- Always stay in contact with your doctor in case you have any doubt regarding your medications.
- Eat a healthy diet and follow the doctors prescription and lead a normal and a healthy life.