Anorexia – Treatment and Home Remedies for Anorexia
Anorexia Nervosa is a common eating disorder where the patient suffers from psychological problems like depression. It is a disease that affects both mind and body. If this disorder is diagnosed and treatment is started in the beginning, then we can prevent further worsening of the condition. The greatest challenge is to make the patient realize or recognize that under eating is itself a big problem and is not the solution for other problems.
Treatment of Anorexia Nervosa
Treatment is a must for all the people suffering from anorexia. In many of the cases consulting a doctor and arranging counseling sessions is of great use. Hospitalization is a must for people who are severely underweight and have other medical problems. The treatment plan can be done with a team that has a psychologist, a medical health professional and a registered dietitian. The treatment includes:
- Individual therapy gives a safe place to solve problems, overcome fears and to identify concerns.
- They help to develop healthy thinking and behavioural patterns with relationships and food.
- Psychological issues like interpersonal relationships and self esteem are emphasized and corrected.
- Individual therapy is called the cornerstone in treating anorexia as this is a very effective method.
- In this type of therapy, the impact of disorder on the family is assessed.
- This helps the family members to improve communication, overcome the feelings of guilt and improve the decision making skills.
- This is used mostly in those cases when the person with anorexia is living at home or young.
- Parents play a major role by helping the child to prepare meals and monitor their exercise and eating pattern.
- Marital therapy is used for persons who are married and are anorexic.
- The main goal is to strengthen their marital relationship.
- This therapy solves communication problems.
- Group therapy plays a vital role as part of hospital treatment.
- Each group is different and is divided according to the goals and may focus on body image, eating, food and interpersonal skills.
- The people in the group are allowed to share their experiences with others to remove the feelings of shame, guilt and isolation.
- Groups assist in dealing with emotional symptoms like anger, anxiety and depression.
- Organizations like the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders are of great use for all anorexic patients.
- Support groups like these provide mutual support and advise on how to cope with such a disorder.
- They provide peer group support to maintain eating disorder behaviors.
The patient is admitted in the hospital if they fall in the below category. This includes:
- If they are at risk to harm themselves
- Severely emaciated
- Failure to progress under partial care
- Need very close monitoring
Home Remedies for Anorexia
Anorexia can be cured at home by the following:
- Orange juice is taken in a glass of warm water every 2 hours from 8am to 8 pm.
- Juicy fruits like pear, apple, grapes, oranges, pineapple and melons to be taken every 5 hours.
- Boil 2 or 3 cloves in a cup of water, then add half spoon lime juice to this and take it 2 times a day.
- Ginger paste is made,then a pinch of salt is and half teaspoon lime juice is added, this is taken 2 times a day for a week.
- Continue good care at home as this will help the anorexic patient to recover fast
- Provide psychological support to the patient and talk to them as they feel better.