Vertigo – Treatment, Prevention and Remedies of Vertigo
Vertigo creates an illusion of a spinning environment. It is a balance disorder occurring in people. There can be several causes like injury or trauma to the head and neck, migraines, viral infections etc. leading to vertigo. The underlying causes decide the definitive method of treatment of the vertigo. Vertigo can occur in association with other signs like loss of balance, nausea, vomiting, dizzy spells etc.
Anticholinergics, antihistamines are generally prescribed and benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is treated with the Epley maneuver (performed by a medical professional or physical therapist) or BPPV maneuver (performed at home).
Home Remedies for Vertigo
- Ginkgo Biloba – Ginko Biloba is a Chinese herb best known as a natural cure of vertigo. It helps in boosting the flow of blood into the brain and subsequently resulting in subsiding the symptoms of vertigo.
- Ginger – Ginger is a common home remedy for vertigo.
- Stay hydrated – Drinking 8-10 glasses of water in a day is a must. You can drink liquid in any form like – lemon water, juices etc. Drink ORS (Oral Re-hydration Solution). You can even prepare hydrating drinks by adding sugar according to taste and a pinch of salt to the lemon juice.
Prevention of Vertigo
In about 5% of people out of the total population would have had vertigo at some point. About 7.4% of people are affected by vertigo in their lives at some point. Vertigo is more common in women than in men. It is 2-3 times more frequent in women. Elderly people are more prone to such signs compared to younger ones.
The following tips may be followed to prevent the signs of vertigo
- Lifestyle Modification-
- The first thing one could do is to find all the elements that are triggering dizziness.
- Once these are identified, they must be tried to eliminated.
- Habits like smoking or drinking alcohol must be quit.
- Over-the-counter medicines must not be abused.
- Drug abuse should not be encouraged.
- Consult your physician if some medicines is causing dizziness in you.
- Eye exercises –
- Look up and then down.
- Continue doing this for 20 times.
- Start doing this slowly first and then increase the speed.
- Head exercises –
- Bend your head forward and then bend it backwards.
- Turn your head side to side while bending.
- This should be done for not less than 20 times in a day.
- Shoulder exercises –
- Shrug your shoulders up and then down.
- Twist it from side to side.
- Each activity should not be performed for less than 20 minutes.
- Positional exercise –
- Stand up and sit down continuously for 20 times.
- Stand fully and then make an attempt to sit fully.
- Making faster but unclear movements will not be helpful.
- First 10 times should be done with open eyes.
- The next 10 times should be done with closed eyes.
Performing daily exercises is another preventive option. The exercises include –