Asthma – Treatment, Prevention and Home Remedies for Asthma
Asthma is the disorder of lungs where, the air passages are narrowed and the person suffers from breathing difficulty. This occurs due to the narrowing of the air passages. Treatment of asthma involves the use of inhalers, medications prescribed by the doctor. As asthma is a chronic disease, the treatment continues for a long time.
Treatment for Asthma
The treatment depends upon the severity of an asthmatic attack.The treatment includes the following:
- Learn more about asthma and gather information to help yourself.
- Try to learn more about asthma triggers and try to avoid them.
- You should follow the treatment plan that the health care provider has recommended.
- Consult your health care provider as scheduled.
- Inform your doctor if the symptoms worsen.
- Inform about any side effects with your medications to the doctor.
If you suffered a severe attack then, the following treatments can be started by your health care provider. The treatment includes:
- Firstly, oxygen may be given through a mask to reduce breathlessness.
- Aerolized beta agonist medications may be administered through a face mask from a nebulizer.
- Metered dose inhaler can be used in which the patient is allowed to take 6-8 puffs sprayed into the spacer and then inhaled.
- The health care provider may put you on steroid medicines.
- The doctor may advise you to admit in the hospital if the attack is severe and serious.
Can we Prevent Asthma?
We must be ready to prevent further asthma attacks by the following ways:
- Avoid those triggers that cause asthma attacks.
- Medications should be taken on a regular a basis.
- Avoid doing exercises if you get an asthmatic attack on exertion.
- Some pets also trigger asthma, so keep your pets outdoors.
- If the weather is cold use a mask to cover your mouth and nose.
- During high pollen days, avoid hiking trips and camping.
- Automobile fumes should be avoided in case of severe asthma.
- Minimize the risk of respiratory infections like cold and cough.
- Learn to spot the early and warning signs and keep the medications in handy.
- People suffering from asthma is usually recommended not to smoke as smoking adds further damage to lungs.
- Try to keep your bedroom free from allergens.
- Use a vacuum cleaner than a broomstick to dust your room.
- Avoid the use of perfumes.Change the filter in your air conditioner frequently.
Home Remedies for Asthma
The cure for asthma is done in natural way that includes the following:
- A jug full of honey is placed can be placed under the nose of the patient and within minutes the patient will have normal breathing.
- One teaspoon of honey is mixed in a glass of water and this can be taken 3 times a day.
- Garlic cloves can be put in 30 grams of milk and boil it as this is a good remedy for asthma.
- Steaming ginger tea with garlic cloves minced can be given twice a day.
- Take 1glass of milk with 1 teaspoon turmeric powder 2-3 times daily on an empty stomach.
- During the asthma attack, mustard oil with camphor can be massaged over the back of the chest.
- Blend honey, lemon and radish and cook on less heat in a pan and take 1 teaspoon in the morning.
- Licorice root is taken in a cup of hot water and then strained and taken.
Never take asthma symptoms lightly, as soon as you experience the symptoms consult your health care provider immediately.