Anemia – Treatment and Remedies for Anemia
Anemia can be treated depending on the cause and the severity. It can also be prevented and cured. Treatment may include dietary changes, medicines, supplements or procedures like blood transfusion. The reduction in the red blood cells has to be stabilised by meeting the needs of the body to increase the RBCs.The goal is to increase the oxygen level in the blood by raising the red blood cells or hemoglobin.
Treatment for Anemia:
The treatment of anemia depends on the cause of the anemia and they include:
Iron deficiency anemia:
- Iron deficiency anemia is treated with iron supplements which can be taken after consulting doctor.
- If side effects like stomach cramps, nausea, constipation or diarrhea occurs, the medication can be taken with little food.
- It is also called as vitamin B-12 deficiency and it is treated by injections of vit B-12.
- These injections are administered several times depending on the severity of the anemia.
Folic acid anemia;
- In this type the doctor may prescribe folic acid supplements once a day.
Hereditary anemia’s such as Thalassemia:
- This is treated by reducing the present infections in the body.
- Medications that reduce the body’s resistance should be avoided.
- Such medications can attack the red blood cells.
- In persons suffering from this type of anemia are put on frequent blood transfusions.
Anemia’s due to bone marrow disease:
- Treatment involves medication to chemotherapy.
- Surgeries like bone marrow transplantation can also be done depending on the condition.
- Blood transfusions can be done and bone marrow transplant can also be done depending on the severity of the condition.
How to Prevent Anemia?
- Anemia can be prevented by taking a well balanced diet containing all the vitamins and minerals.
- Alcohol should be avoided.
- Iron rich foods can be taken to prevent anemia.
- Anemia’s can be avoided by consulting doctor regularly even if there are no symptoms.
Home Remedies for Anemia :
The cure for anemia at home can be done by following certain remedies. They include:
- Eat a nutritious diet that includes rice, pastas, dairy products, vegetables, fruits, meat, dry beans, eggs, nuts, green leafy vegetables and fish.
- Eat iron rich foods like liver, beets, oysters, molasses, raisins, pastas made from grain flour.
- Do not drink tea, coffee, and avoid antacids as they reduce the iron absorption in the blood.
- Eat 2-3 apples daily as they increase the iron levels in the blood.
- Half or 1 teaspoon of yellow dock root extract is taken as juice.
- Honey also plays a vital role in anemia cure.
- Deep breathing and light exercise helps in toning the muscles.