Vomiting – Treatment, Prevention and Remedies of Vomiting
Antiemetics are the drugs used a treatment of vomiting and nausea. These suppress vomiting effectively caused due to motion sickness. Antiemitics can also treat the side-effects of medications like chemotherapy and opioids.
The various antiemitics used include anticholinergics, antihistamines, cannabinoidsand, dopamine antagonists and serotonin antagonists. But in severe cases of vomiting leading to dehydration, antiemitics cannot be chosen as a method of treatment. It may require administering intravenous fluid to replace fluid volume.
Home Remedies for Vomiting
You must rest your stomach but should not get dehydrated.Staying entirely on clear fluids is advisable only for the first 24 hours of an illness. Following it, diet should be taken care of. Clear fluids are easy to be absorbed by the stomach. These include –
- sports drinks
- clear broths
Other Home based Treatments involve –
- Do not consume too much fluid. Because drinking plenty of fluid at a time will stretch your stomach worsening your nausea. About 1-2 ounces of fluid should be taken every 10-15 minutes.
- Avoid milk products for the first 24-48 hours.
- But if the symptoms last for more than 24 hours, then dehydration is a common risk associated with it. Immediate medical care must be looked for.
- Contacting your physician or pediatrician is the best option for your child.
- Do not wait for 24 hours for the symptoms to subside.
- If vomiting is found associated with fever, pain, blood, tarry bowel movement; then immediate medical care should be seeked.
- Taking up home based treatments to cure the symptoms is not wise enough.