Whooping Cough – Treatment, Prevention and Remedies of Whooping Cough
The treatment of whooping cough requires proper diagnosis of the condition. The perfect diagnosis is again dependent on the onset of the typical cough. This cough takes a longer time to develop. So till that no appropriate diagnosis can be made. The symptoms of pertussis is often confused with normal flu, common cold or cough. But whooping cough is much sever than those. It is a bacterial infection caused in children and babies.
The bluish or purple face accompanied by episodes of coughs is a common sign. Mucus in the lungs, higher levels of anxiety and vomiting may also be observed. Pertussis is dangerous and hence must be treated medically. However, home remedies may help in coping with the severe cough and other symptoms.
Treatment of Whooping Cough
Till today, no effective methods of treatment have been found for the associated coughs. But antibiotic may be prescribed to shorten the period of infection. But antibiotics are incapable of altering the outcome of the disease.
Pertussis vaccines are found very effective in saving many lives every year. Vaccines are the most effective way in preventing the infection of Whooping Cough. But these vaccines offer protection lasting for a limited period of time. The effect is mainly concentrated on the childhood when the child is most exposed to infection and is at the greatest risk of developing the infection.
The immunization for pertussis is given in combination with diphtheria, tetanus, polio and haemophilus influenzae (type B) immunizations. The immunizations are generally given at the 2nd, 4th and 6th month where as the single booster dose is given after 3 years (40 months old).
Home Remedies of Whooping Cough
Since the respiratory tract is infected in a person suffering from whooping cough, so rapid clearance of mucus is necessary. This will prevent choking and lessen the severity of coughs in the child. A few people prefer using home-based methods to treat the Whooping Cough. A few of those are listed below.
- Garlic has been known well for its anti-microbial properties. This has also been found effective in treating Pertussis.
- Garlic syrup may be given to the patient thrice in a day.
- If severity and frequency of coughs increases, then the dosage may be increased.
- Oil of garlic may be rubbed on the soles of the feet.
- Lobeila is famous for clearing the mucus resulting from infections in the respiratory tract.
- This herb is also used to treat asthma at many places. These are available in tinctures (a concentrated form of the herb is preserved in the alcohol), dried form, liquid extract and capsules.
- You may use it as per your convenience and preference. While deciding the doses you must be cautious with symptoms of vomiting, diarrhoea, sweating and rapid heartbeat.
- Different preparations of honey are used for home-base cure to pertussis.
- Honey is a very effective remedy that can be used at home to treat the deadly coughs.
- Even if you are not suffering from Whooping Cough, honey may still be used to soothe your coughing and its severity.