Are Eicosapentaenoic Acid Capsules More Effective than Celecoxib Drug in Treating Bowel Cancer
Bowel Cancer is the fifth most common form of cancer in the United States. If the cancer is confined to the walls of the organ colon, it can be cured through surgery. But Metastasis can spread the disease to other distinct locations of the abdomen making the cancer incurable. Bowel cancer starts when mutation or changes in the chemical structure of a gene called APC takes place. The disease becomes hereditary and off springs of parents with damaged APC are prone to precancerous bowel growths technically called familial adenomatous polyposis or FAP. Scientists now report that a purified form of an omega 3 can cut the size and number of the precancerous bowel growths or polyps. The results of this finding are published in the March 2010 edition of the journal GUT. This article tries to gained further insight on the finding.
Knowledge Gained From Research:
- This particular form of Omega 3 is named Eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA.
- It is found to be as effective as the prescription drug-Celecoxib given to FAP patients treat to the precancerous bowel growths.
- Celecoxib is partially effective in its job as intake of this drug causes unavoidable side effects to the organ heart.
- The study involved 55 patients suffering from FAP condition inherited by them genetically.
- FAP patients have to compulsorily undergo surgery to remove large section of their bowel in order to inhibit the growth of cancer.
- They require regular monitoring of the operated region after surgery through the technique of Endoscopy.
- All the 55 patients underwent surgery and were monitored regularly before inducted into the study.
- 28 (group 1) of them were given highly purified form of Eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA capsules for 6 months as treatment procedure.
- The rest of the 27 (group 2) were left untreated and placed under observation.
- It was learnt after the study that number of polyps decreased in group 1 patients by 12 percent when treated with EPA capsules.
- In group 2 patients, the number of polyps increased by 10 percent by the end of the study.
- The size of the polyps decreased by 12.5 percent in group 1 patients and their size increased by 17 percent in group 2 patients.