Heart Treatment Drugs Can Be More Effective
Nealy 5 million people in the United States have heart failure leading to 300,000 deaths annually. Heart failure is a condition where the organ fails to perform its basic task properly, which is pumping of oxygen rich blood to every corner of the body. This condition is caused by earlier complains of heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. Treatment of this condition involves either undergoing heart transplantation or taking medicines. These medicines are partially effective in their job and have unavoidable side-effects. Researchers at the University of Iowa have found out that the positive effects of these drugs can be increased while reducing the negative effects. This article tries to gain further insight on this topic.
Knowledge Gained From Research:
- Calmodulin kinase II (CaM kinase) is an enzyme that controls the element calcium.
- This element is required for the proper functioning of the heart as it helps in contraction of the organ.
- But this ability of CaM kinase to control the availability of Calcium to the heart also proves counter-productive.
- Excess availability of CaM kinase causes irregularity in heart beats and cell deaths.
- Researchers at the Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, have found out a way in which the enzyme CaM kinase can continue to provide calcium to the heart without posing threats of irregularity of heart beats and cell deaths.
- Enzymes like CaM kinase are naturally present chemical substances and assist organs in their normal functioning.
- CaM kinase enzyme is associated with a process called Phosphorylation.
- This process involves adding the component phosphate to the proteins which provide nourishment to heart.
- Chemicals like proteins are made up of large number molecules of Amino acids provided to the body by the food we eat.
- The research study found that the added phosphate molecules attach with several types of amino acids during Phosphorylation.
- But if the phosphate is not allowed to bind with two particular types of Amino acids, then excess availability of CaM kinase to the heart can be prevented.
- Further research is focused on developing drugs which can prevent undesirable activities of CaM kinase enzyme.
- The findings of the research is published in the online edition of the journal the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.