How Green Tea Can Treat Kidney Stones
Green tea originated in China. It is prepared from the leaves of plant called Camellia sinensis. Research studies were conducted in recent times to discover new aspects of its health benefits. They have confirmed that the tea can treat heart ailment and Cancer. Latest research on green tea benefits reports that it can treat kidney stone pain too. This article tries to get further insight on this topic.
How Kidney Stone are Formed to Cause the Pain:
- The organ kidney separates waste materials and useful substances from the food we eat.
- It dissolves the useful substances back in to the blood and sends liquid waste as urine to a region called bladder. From the bladder it is send out of the body during the process of urination.
- The path connecting the organ kidney to the region bladder is called the Ureter.
- Human Urine contains several chemical substances. These substances usually come out through our urine.
- One of these substances is the calcium oxalate salt. It can form solid as crystals.
- Initially, the size of the crystals remain very small, but they grow over the time forming the stones.
- These stones can get stuck in the organ kidney. Such a state is medically called as Nephrolithiasis.
- They can also become a blockage between the kidney and the bladder by remaining in between the Ureter. Such a state is called Urolithiasis.
- Presence of the stone either in the kidney or the bladder do not cause any pain.
- It is when the stone blocks the flow of urine from kidney to bladder, that the pain originates.
- That is why, location of the stone is considered to be important than its size during treatment.
Knowledge Gained from Research:
- The research study was carried out the scientists at Sichuan University, Chengdu, China.
- The researchers wanted to know how an important component of green tea called the Phenols interact with the chemical salt calcium oxalate which forms the stones.
- They used a very powerful microscopic device which was capable of showing even how molecules influenced each other on meeting.
- They found that Phenols changed the structure of calcium oxalate molecule.
- In its new molecular state, the salt was unable to form solid crystal any more.
- In this way, drinking Green tea is proved beneficial by research to treat kidney stones issue.