Unapproved Stroke Drugs to be Anti-Cancer Drugs Soon
Cancer is incurable beyond a point because of a process called Metastasis. But this dreadful process can be now arrested with the help of Stroke drugs. This latest finding (dated December 2009), is according to the researchers at the Tel Aviv University, Israel. This article tries to gain further insight on the topic.
What makes Cancer Incurable: Cancer is caused when some harmful cells enter in a healthy body. The origin of the harmful in the body remains unknown yet. These malignant cells start converting useful and healthy cells in to harmful ones. After affecting cells of an organ, these harmful cells spread to other unaffected regions of the body through blood stream. They reach remote locations of the body and spread the harmful cells there. this process is called metastasis. If Cancer is not diagnosed before this point, it becomes incurable.
Knowledge Gained from the Research:
- According researcher Prof. Malka Cohen-Armon, Stroke drugs killed the cancer cells in experimental mice suffering from breast cancer.
- These drugs were found to target only Cancer cells, without affecting the normal cells.
- If these drugs are found to be successful on humans, then a new class of anti-cancer drugs will be available.
- These drugs are found to arrest the growth of cancer cells and kill them within 48-72 hours of given the drug.
- Though the normal healthy cells too come under the influence of these drugs, they remain unaffected and completely come out of the influence of the drug within 12 hours of its intake in the body.
- The drug is found to be effective in killing all types of cancer cells in humans.
- There were no toxic substances found in the drug which posed any kind of threat to the experimental mice.
The experiments conducted with the drug on the mice were done conforming to the guidelines on Laboratory Animals published by the National Institutes of Health in the United States. It is interesting to note that these stroke drug are unapproved for their original purpose. American researchers found in their studies, that these drugs were ineffective in preventing the nerve cell damage after stroke. These drugs are now used for research purposes only.