Home Remedies for Sinusitis
Sinusitis is the inflammation of the mucosal lining of the sinuses. Sinuses are the air-filled cavitities within the facial bones. Sinuses are present behind the nose, between the eyes and behind the cheekbones.
Sinusitis can be caused due to bacterial infection, viral infection or due to allergies. When a person has sinusitis, due to the inflammation of the mucosal membrane, the normal drainage of the fluids is disrupted. The fluid build up encourages the growth of bacteria/virus resulting, in further infection.
Symptoms of Sinusitis:
Pain over the areas of the face, greenish or yellowish discharge, headache, pain when bending, dizziness, fever, cough, fever, facial swelling are some of the symptoms of sinusitis.
Home Remedies for Sinusitis:
Here are some of the home remedies for sinusitis:
- Hot Shower: Steam can loosen up the mucus and bring relief. For this, have a hot shower, twice a day to loosen up the mucus
- Steam Inhalation: Take some hot water in a bowl and try to inhale its steam. You can put over your head a towel to keep the steam from escaping and inhale the steam
- Hot soups/tea: The steam from the hot soup can bring great relief as it helps to loosen the mucus. Hence, if you have sinusitis, have some hot soup or tea for relief
- Saline Spray: Mix one tablespoon of salt in two cups of water. Close one of your nostrils with a thumb and try to sniff this solution. After this, gently blow your nose. The salt can flush out the nasal secretion and bring relief
- Drink: Drink plenty of fluids as they can help in thinning the mucus
- Warm compresses: Apply a warm towel or washcloth over painful areas of your face such as the eyes, cheekbones. The heat can help in relieving the pain
- Elevate your head: When you sleep, elevate your head by putting two pillows. This will control the nasal congestion
- Garlic/onion: garlic and onion have a pungent odor and this can help in loosening the mucus. You can make a paste of garlic after soaking it in water; now inhale the paste. You can also inhale peeled onions for relief
- Exercise: Exercising shrinks the nasal membranes, promotes good breathing and blood circulation. So, if you are bothered of sinusitis, it is a good idea to exercise
If your sinusitis symptoms do not resolve after 3 to 4 days, you would have to visit the doctor. Your doctor can help in giving you the right treatment for clearing the sinuses