What is ear infection?
The ear needs proper care on a regular basis. Negligence might lead even to loss of hearing power.
The ear infection might cause pain and fever. The ear infection is mostly found in the middle ear. The middle ear infection happens when bacteria or virus attack the ear. Virus and bacteria enter the ear and causes discomfort.
The Middle Ear
The middle ear is situated between the inner ear and outer ear. It is a small portion which is filled with air. It is positioned just behind the eardrum.
How does ear infection happen?
Ear infection might start after a cold or respiratory problem. One might get ear infection when germs pile in the ear. It might fill the ear with pus to fight against the germs and infections. The collection of this fluid creates great pain.
The ear infection normally happens due to the abnormalities of the eustachian tube. The eustachian tube gets blocked if the person has cold, allergies or germ attack. This allows the bacteria to intrude in the middle ear and causes mild to severe infections.
Signs and Symptoms of Ear Infection
There might be more than one reason for the inner ear infection and fluid buildup. The children might get into an irritated state in the case of ear infection.
The primary signs and symptoms of ear infection are:
- Ear pain
- Difficulty to hear properly
- Loss of hearing power
- Sleeping problems
- Yellow or reddish drainage from the ear
- Lack of appetite
The signs of fluid buildup are:
- Feeling pressure and ringing feeling in the ear
- Trouble in hearing
- Poor concentration
Ear Infection Treatment
The ear infection might be cured with the help of antibiotics. The antibiotics become ineffective if over-consumed. It is advisable to consult a medical professional to get quick relief.
The primary treatments for the ear infection include:
- Consuming nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Using hot bag to maintain the warmth of the area
- Consulting an ENT specialist to get immediate medical attention
- Taking proper rest
- Using ear drops as prescribed by the doctor
Ear Infection Prevention
The ear infection might be prevented by taking appropriate measures.
A few of Ear Infection Prevention are:
- Keep away from people who have cold
- Be in good health and try not to get cold
- Clean the hands before and after food
- Be cautious not to touch eyes and nose frequently
- Going for ear check up periodically