Home Cures For Stuffy Nose
A stuffy nose can cause a lot of inconvenience as it hinders free breathing. It also affects your sense of smell. Curing the stuffy nose can enable you to breathe properly and get on with your work. There are various medications available for nasal congestion; however, home cure for stuffy nose a remedy can bring immediate relief.
Common cold, sinus infection are some of the reasons for a stuffy nose. Allergies due to dust, pollen, or other allergens can also cause stuffy nose.
Home Cure for stuffy nose:
Here is a list of home cures & remedies for stuffy nose:
- Chicken Soup: Chicken soup is spicy. The spice and the steam from the chicken soup can loosen the blocked nose. So, if you have stuffy nose, have some hot chicken soup
- Hot Shower: Steam clears the nasal passages and allows you to breathe freely. The best way to be around steam is to have a long hot shower. This can relax you and enable you to breathe freely
- Steam Inhalation: Steam inhalation is the most popular home cure for stuffy nose. Steam loosens up the mucus and can help you to breathe freely. For steam inhalation, take a container of hot water and inhale the steam. Take a towel to cover your head to keep the steam from escaping
- Spicy Foods: Spicy food can loosen up the mucus and make the nose runny
- Warm fluids: Warm fluids can soothe the throat and the steam can loosen up the mucus. You can have warm fluids such as hot tea, hot tea with lemon, hot spicy soups, or just a glass of warm water
- Saline water: Saline water is known to get rid of stuffy nose. Take some water and add a pinch of salt in it. Now, using a nose dropper put few drops of the solution in each of the nostrils for relief. You can also add quarter teaspoon of baking soda and salt in 8 ounces of water and use it for relief
- Onion: Peel the outer layer of onion and inhale it. This stimulates the nose and unblocks the nasal congestion
- Pile up pillows: While sleeping, the pressure of the nasal fluid can build up, leading to more congestion. Hence, use two pillows under your head while sleeping for relief
- Workout: Exercising helps in better breathing, blood circulation and it also shrinks the nasal membranes. So, to get rid of nasal congestion, have a good workout
An alternative remedy for nasal congestion is a neti pot. A neti pot is a ceramic device which is filled with a saline solution and used as a nasal irrigator to get rid of stuffy nose. You would have to fill the neti pot with a saline solution and pour the solution in one nostril, allowing the saline solution to flow out of the other nostril loosening the mucus.
Following a home cure remedy of stuffy nose is simple and easy way for relief. However, if you experience headache, fever, or have a strange taste in your mouth due to the congestion, do consult your doctor.