Stomach Flu Symptoms
Stomach flu is generic name of gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis is the inflammation of the stomach, small and large intestines. Generally it is caused by certain types of bacteria or viruses or by some poisons that may irritate the stomach. It is often called as ‘stomach flu’ although it is not caused by the influenza viruses. Stomach flu generally goes away by itself within couple of days.
Here are few symptoms of stomach flu:
- Persistent watery diarrhea
- Dehydration followed by weakness, decreased urination
- Fever above 100 F
- Headache and/or lightheadedness
- Swollen abdomen
- Abdominal cramps
- Stomach ache
- Blood in vomit or stool
- Abdominal bloating
- Dry skin and dry mouth
- Lack of sweat and tears
Stomach Flu Symptoms in Children:
- Upset stomach
- Stomach cramps
- Water loss from body
- Not feel like eating
Stomach Flu Symptoms in Babies:
Depending on the severity of the symptoms, the condition can last for few hours or for days as well.
Facts and Statistics on Stomach Flu Symptoms:
- Adenovirus, rotavirus, caliciviruses, and astrovirus are the four types of virus which causes stomach flu.
|S.No.||Name of the Virus||Affected Age-group||Time for Symptoms to be Apparent|
- There are 49 different types of adenovirus and one particular type affects the intestine to diarrhea and vomiting.
- This virus can affect its specific age group in any month of a year.
- Rotavirus is the most common virus to cause stomach flu in children.
- Watery diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever can persist for 3 to 8 days when this virus affects its specific age group.
- In the United States, it is active in between the months november to april, affecting even the adults who come in direct contact with the affected children.
- Fatigue, muscle aches, headache apart from vomiting and diarrhea are some of the symptoms in an individual affected with calicivirus.
- A specific type of calicivirus is norovirus which is active between the months october to april.
- It is estimated that 50 percent of food-borne diseases in this country is caused by norovirus.
- Astrovirus is active only during the winter months.