Liver Cancer Symptoms
Liver: Liver is a large and complicated reddish-brown glandular organ located in the upper right portion of the abdominal cavity. It has several important functions such as bile secretion, protein, carbohydrate and fat metabolism, vitamin A synthesis, detoxification, protein synthesis, and production of bio-chemicals necessary for digestion.
Liver cancer is a disease in which the cells and linings of the liver become malignant or cancerous. There are two types of liver cancer: Primary and Secondary
In primary liver cancer the cancer starts from the tissues of the liver. That is the origin of cancer is liver. In secondary liver cancer the cancer starts from some other organ such as the colon, stomach, pancreas and breast and then spreads to the liver. It is also called metastatic liver cancer.
Here are Few Symptoms of Liver Cancer:
- All the symptoms of jaundice such as yellow skin and eyes, pale stools, and dark urine
- Swollen abdomen or abdominal bloating
- A lump or a feeling of heaviness in the upper abdomen
- Pain and/or discomfort on the upper abdomen on the right side
- Pain may also extend into the patient’s shoulder and back
- Loss of appetite and feelings of fullness
- Unintentional weight loss
- Weakness or feeling very tired
- Nausea and vomiting
Symptoms of Liver Cancer in Men:
- Swelling of testicles
- Formation of painless lumps near the testicles
- Erectile dysfunction
- Enlargement of the breasts in men
- Blood in urine
Symptoms of Liver Cancer in Women:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal bloating
- Upper abdominal pain
- Enlargement of liver
- Yellow color of the eyes and skin
- Stomach upset
Symptoms of Liver Cancer in Children:
- Painful swelling in the abdomen
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
Facts and Statistics on Liver Cancer:
- According to the National Cancer Institute, 15000 men and 6000 women learn that they have liver cancer every year in the United States.
- They are mostly above the age of 64 years. The average age group at high risk of getting affected with this disease is 60 – 70 years.
- When the cancer originates in the organ itself, it is called primary liver cancer.
- But this disease is notorious of spreading to other organs of the body quickly through a process technically called metastases. In such cases, the disease is called secondary cancer.
- Most of the cases of liver cancer are diagnosed to be secondary by nature.
- Unfortunately the symptoms of liver cancer remains latent in the initial stages. They become apparent only in advanced stage.
- In the United States, people who migrated to this country from India are more affected by this cancer.
- People with chronic hepatitis B infection in past are at higher risk of getting this disease too.
- Alcohol consumption on regular basis is the most common cause of liver cancer all over the world.