Causes Of Colitis
Colitis is defined as the inflammation of the colon. Colon or the large intestine is responsible for the storing and collecting waste products after the digestion is completed. There are variety of reasons which results in colitis. Infections, poor supply of blood, heredity can be few of them.
Causes Of Colitis:
The most common causes which results in colitis are:
- Infectious Colitis: Infections in colon are caused because of the bacteria and viruses. Most of these bacteria’s and viruses are generated from the food which is there for digestion purpose. Some bacteria which are commonly found in colon are E.coli, Salmonella and Campylobacter. These infections are followed by the diahhera and can also lead to dehydration.
- Ischemic Colitis: This is caused when the arteries that are supplying blood to colon narrows down due to atherosclerosis. In such situation, the supply of blood to colon is lost and as the result it gets inflamed. The loss of blood supply can be due to various other reasons such as hernia (a condition in which a portion of colon gets struck in the abdominal wall of the colon), volvulus (a condition which the bowel twists itself over itself), dehydration, shock or anemia.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease: There are two types of inflammatory bowel disease. The first one is ulcerative colitis which is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system of the body attacks the colon and it results in inflammation of the colon. The second disease is Crohn’s disease in which lesions are formed in the healthy tissues of the digestive system. This disease can be in any part of the digestive tract, stomach, large intestine, small intestine etc.
- Chemical Colitis: If suppose a chemical is inserted in the colon it can result in chemical colitis. Normally this disease occurs due to intake of excess of alcohol or due intake of spicy food.
What Causes Colitis:
Some other causes of colitis can be:
- Immune System: Sometimes colitis can be a result of imbalance of immune system. Like ulcerative colitis is caused because the immune system starts fighting its own cells instead of fighting with the bacteria or virus. This results in the inflammation of the colon.
- Heredity: It has been found that the disease of colitis is heredity. If any one in earlier generation has the history of colitis so there are chances of its transfer in the present generation through genes.
- Lifestyle And Stress: If you are having a hectic schedule and you are not able to concentrate properly on your diet then also there are chances of this disease. Stress and improper diet can result in colitis.