10 Ways of Overcoming Temptations
As human beings, our self-control can be weak at times. We tend to give into temptation on occasion. As much as we try to control ourselves, temptation sometimes overcomes us and we do things we normally would not. But there are ways to train our minds to stay powerful when temptation calls.
Tips to Overcome Temptations
- We do make mistakes, but they must not control us. It is human to make a mistake, but to give into the same temptation twice is being weak. We should learn from our mistakes.
- Seek strength from friends and relatives. They may have the same weaknesses as you and can be a strong support system.
- Try to forgo momentary pleasure for self-fulfillment. Excessive indulgence would mean extra time spent, money wasted, lowering of self-esteem, bad for health and so on and so forth. For example, instead of spending money on liquor or gambling, try to do something that will better you as a person instead of something that makes you feel guilty afterward.
- Avoid places where you might over-indulge. It is better to socialize in a healthy way.
- Think about the consequences of your behavior.
- Listen to the warnings of others.
- Divert the mind to constructive activities.
- Set achievable goals and practice self-control assiduously in attaining them.
Self-control is not always easy to practice, but gets easier and easier, as healthier habits start to form.. A person with a strong will power can attain goals easily.