Breath Can Indicate Disease
Breathing is a natural phenomenon. Our life depends upon our breath. We live because we breathe. At the same time, the breath also is a good indicator of disease. Our breath consists of 1,000 compounds, some of which indicate disease. This was revealed by Jun Ye, a physicist at JILA which is a combined institute of the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the University of Colorado at Boulder. He has identified molecules in the breath, which can be a fast screening tool to detect diseases. A new laser technique can help doctors to detect disease through the breath.
How Does Breath Indicate Disease?
- The laser technique, optical frequency comb spectroscopy, is a non-invasive and painless method of detecting diseases. It enables a physician to detect the disease at an early stage, when it is easier to treat (Source
- We inhale and exhale oxygen and carbon dioxide respectively. But we also breathe out certain chemicals, some of which can foretell disease
- Ammonia can indicate kidney failure
- Nitric oxide can indicate asthma
- Breath can also indicate lung cancer
- Shortness of breath can indicate heart problem
- Bad breath can indicate gum disease or indigestion
- If you suffer from irregular breathing, then you need to get it checked up
- In sleep apnea, your breathing stops. This can be a health hazard
Breath can reveal underlying health problems. With the new laser technique it is easier for doctors to diagnose disease through the breath. Next time you breathe out, remember what you breathe out, can indicate your health condition.