Are Air-Fresheners Bad for Health?
Air-fresheners freshen up your room and make it smell good. They are available in different scents and one can choose the scent that one likes the most. One can spray it in the bathroom, in the kitchen and in the bedrooms- any place of the house. One finds freshness all around. Before guests arrive in a party, you can use an air-freshener to get rid of the smell of food. You literally cannot do without an air-freshener. But it is hazardous to health as well. Let us understand this further.
How An Air-freshener is Bad for Health?
- Based on new research, it has been observed that a chemical that is used in an air-freshener can be harmful to the lungs. The chemical, known as 1.4 dichlorobenzene, can affect the functioning of the lung
- Those who suffer from asthma or other respiratory illnesses do face problems with air-fresheners. The chemicals present can aggravate the condition. Even low-levels can affect the lungs
- These air fresheners emit toxic pollutants which can lead to health risks
- These chemicals present in the air-fresheners can cause air-pollution and affect the ozone layer of the earth. The ozone layer protects the earth from the rays of the sun
- Air fresheners can also affect the eyes
- They can irritate the skin
- One can be allergic to them
- They can cause sneezing
- These air fresheners also contain chemicals which disturb the hormones, known as phthalates. These chemicals affect the hormones and testosterone production
- Children and unborn are very vulnerable to phtalates. They cause birth defects
- These phtalates can also cause cancer
Air-fresheners can make the room smell good, but they also affect the health. One must use them cautiously. Excessive usage is not good.